Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Is Doyles\'s expose the aces play legal?

In <u>Super System</u> he says that if there are trips on the board and someone goes allin and he had AA, he would turn the aces face up and try to read his opponent's reaction to determine if his opponent had quads or a lower boat.

This might be OK in a backroom in Texas, but I wonder if it is legal in a cardroom.

I would personally not try anything that could be interpretted as an angle shoot on an allin pot, but I am just curious.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Is Doyles\'s expose the aces play legal?

I've been in tournaments where people have done this and it slid, also the Heads Up Poker Championship NBC put on last year (the one Hellmuth won) had this as a special rule, you can reveal your hole cards at any time to get a read.

But I believe the standard rule/practice is that if you intentionally expose your cards they are considered dead.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM

its card room dependant..most places don't allow it though
Old 11-07-2005, 07:43 PM

TDA rules say that in this situation, you could incur a penalty (time away from table), but your hand will NOT be killed.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:07 PM

It's more commonly allowed in cash games like Doyle played in. I've seen it done at the MGM as well as on live at the bike.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:19 PM

afaik, it's fine in a hu situation.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 PM

Rules vary from room to room, but in a cash game in a HU pot, the VAST majority will allow you to expose one or all cards at any point during the hand.

Since you play a fair amount at the Wynn... Yes they do allow it like any good room will.

As to the value, it can have value, but not always.

Here is a hand from the Wynn 1/3 NL game...

I raise UTG to $30 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], I pickup 2 callers.

Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. The BB (rather short stacked for the table) leads for $120, I insta AI for ~$600, other caller folds.

The BB flips the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I fliped up the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and after much thought called.

After the hand he told me he figured that I was on KK with the redraw to the flush.

In a tournament, it is almost never allowed. Anywhere from a warning to nasty punishment/DQ.

Bottom line always ask the floor before sitting...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The BB flips the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I fliped up the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and after much thought called.

After the hand he told me he figured that I was on KK with the redraw to the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man is he dumb. I usually induce people to call my AI when they show me a hand that beats mine.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man is he dumb. I usually induce people to call my AI when they show me a hand that beats mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think flipping the K was dumb. But apprently it worked, so yeah, that guy is dumb
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 AM

I made a ruling on this very situation just the other day. There is one other consideration to keep in mind: are there other people in the hand, or is it heads-up? In a cash game, heads up, I would rule with perfect consistancy that exposing one or both of your hole cards to get a read is legal. However we must consider if another player is involved in the hand (either an all-in situation or still actively betting does not matter).

Exposing your cards when a player is all in and you are in side action is wrong (especially so in a tournament). You are exposing your cards either to induce a call or push a fold. If you are trying to induce a call you may be putting the all-in player's hand in peril moreso than before (that is what if they guy you are hoping calls can beat YOU - oops. That definately hurts the AI player if they can beat you but cannot beat your opponent).

The other consideration is if you have 3 active bettors. You are feeding at least one or the two players extra information giving them an unfair advantage over the 3rd player. ie: Player A bets, you (player B) expose a card and taunt. Player C now has information player A never had when making his bet. Even if you are acting last (A bets, B calls/raises then you expose a card and act) player A is at a disadvantage to B again. Other thoughts?