Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Treating \'grabby\' table fabric?

I have converted a cheap table into a pretty nice 8 seat octagonal poker table. For the playing surface, I put blue ultrasuede (I think) over some padding and it looks great and plays pretty well with Bicycle cards.

But with KEM and Copag plastic cards, the surface is 'grabby'. Cards don't slide much on the deal, and you really have to work to pull dealt cards to you, or push to the person making the deck for the next deal.

One player advised spraying it with Scotchguard. Before trying this, anyone out there have experience with this???

Thanks
Old 11-01-2005, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Treating \'grabby\' table fabric?

test on scraps
Old 11-06-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
test on scraps

[/ QUOTE ]Right, and you might want to test ironing the material on a medium setting.
Regards,
Suzy Homemaker
Old 11-07-2005, 01:00 AM

scotchguard will make it stickier i think. definitely use test strips and let us know how it worked out.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Tried medium, then heavy dose of Scotchguard. No noticable change. Will try ironing, and maybe a few more out-of-the-box remedies. Will keep this string posted

Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have converted a cheap table into a pretty nice 8 seat octagonal poker table. For the playing surface, I put blue ultrasuede (I think) over some padding and it looks great and plays pretty well with Bicycle cards.

But with KEM and Copag plastic cards, the surface is 'grabby'. Cards don't slide much on the deal, and you really have to work to pull dealt cards to you, or push to the person making the deck for the next deal.

One player advised spraying it with Scotchguard. Before trying this, anyone out there have experience with this???

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems strange. Static, maybe?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:30 PM

Ironing did nothing, just like the scotchguard. Do not think it is static. I'm sure it is the lower gloss on the plastics interacting with the surface.

If I put one finger on the Bicycle card, I can move the card on the table surface. If I do that with a plastic one, my finger slides, and the card stays put.

I guess the untested ultrasuede was a bad choice over velveteen or felt. Will try some other options, before reaching for the electric razor to take that ultrasuede down a few notches ......
Old 11-17-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the untested ultrasuede was a bad choice over velveteen or felt. Will try some other options, before reaching for the electric razor to take that ultrasuede down a few notches ......

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an odd choice for the table felt.

Back in the mid 90's our group was tired of playing on various kitchen tables and decided to make a table. So a couple of the guys hand built a pretty nice octagonal table with chip wells, etc. The only problem was they used felt that gradeschoolers use to make puppets out of for the table and it was terrible. We initially thought the balls of green felt that came off would eventually go away leaving a nice smooth surface. Fortunately, that table has since been retired...

I think your best bet would be to go get some real covering- either what they put on real poker tables or pool tables. Call a home recreation place and ask.

-Aqua
Old 11-17-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an odd choice for the table felt.

Back in the mid 90's our group was tired of playing on various kitchen tables and decided to make a table. So a couple of the guys hand built a pretty nice octagonal table with chip wells, etc. The only problem was they used felt that gradeschoolers use to make puppets out of for the table and it was terrible. We initially thought the balls of green felt that came off would eventually go away leaving a nice smooth surface. Fortunately, that table has since been retired...

I think your best bet would be to go get some real covering- either what they put on real poker tables or pool tables. Call a home recreation place and ask.

-Aqua

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what we put on our tables, from the site we get it from. We love it, and have had zero complaints about it from customers. Its durable, high-quality, and it doesn't pill or fade.