Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Anyon on COX High Speed Internet??

I've got COX High Speed Internet (Orang County, CA) and I have constant problems with it. It's always dropping my connection and I'm pretty fed up with it. I just bought a new Router/Cable modem, thinking it might be a hardware issue (I just got the Linksys WCG200v2).

Does anyone else have COX and similar problems? Also, the cable comes out of the wall into a splitter (same outlet as my TV), could this affect the signal and possibly cause disconnects? If/When I switch to HD tv, I'm going to move the modem to another outlet, but only 1 is hooked up for internet right now.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: Anyon on COX High Speed Internet??

I'm on Cox high-speed in Texas. No problems with or without a Linksys router. I'm running two PCs and two TVs on it all the time.

You should have no problem using a splitter unless it's a piece of junk. Since there's only one cable coming into your house, there's going to be one or more splitters somewhere on the system even if you can't see them. When I lived in an apartment in southern California I had to use powered splitters, presumably because of long wiring runs of questionable quality inside the building. I rewired my house in Texas myself with a home networking system so I'm fairly confident in all the connectors.

Another thing you may want to do is terminate any open connectors, including those on multi-way splitters. I don't know if this really helps, but it can't hurt.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Anyon on COX High Speed Internet??

I had an similar issue with Cox high speed in AZ. Constant delays which caused signal drop at the table. It turned out to be the external splitter coming in. But I learned that the life expectancy of splitters is low. You might try that.