Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: I NEVER know what to do here...

[ QUOTE ]
hands like this seem to always get me in trouble. The line i lose for them sometimes allows me to win big ones picking off bluffs, but it also fucks me over alot too..

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

MP (t1270)
CO (t1020)
Button (t1790)
SB (t1495)
Hero (t2195)
UTG (t1230)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t50.

Flop: (t325) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t150</font>, CO folds, Hero calls t150.

Turn: (t625) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t250</font>, Hero calls t250.

River: (t1125) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: t1125

How should I have played that? Assume folding preflop is not an option.

[/ QUOTE ]

To all the fold PFers...you all weak!

Read the HH...this isnt Party and folding PF isnt always the right answer to everything.

To the poster who said 30% of the time its QQ-AA...no, its less than that...80% of the time its 22-77. (and they play them post flop like pocket aces)
Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Read the HH...this isnt Party and folding PF isnt always the right answer to everything.

To the poster who said 30% of the time its QQ-AA...no, its less than that...80% of the time its 22-77. (and they play them post flop like pocket aces)

[/ QUOTE ]
What does not being Party have to do with anything? I swy fold preflop because your stack is healthy and you have a hand that is dominated much of the time. I see no reason to risk this here.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What does not being Party have to do with anything? I swy fold preflop because your stack is healthy and you have a hand that is dominated much of the time. I see no reason to risk this here.

[/ QUOTE ]

because if you had 800 in starting chips you may want to conserve them and pass on marginal plays. 1500 to start gives you some leeway. People are so afraid of UTG minraisers when most of the time, it is really just a marginal hand raising its value...the minimum. And also trying to play against the blinds. On a flop, you can get an idea right away more or less whats going on, and the times I am right yield me more money than the times I am wrong and/or have to get away.

I am not offering advice on how to play this hand down...only saying that typing "fold pf" getting 5-1 with A9 and closing the action is not something I would think of saying. I really believe at stars, HERO will have two overs most of the time here, and it wont cost him his stack to find out usually.

If on this hand it turned out Hero was dominated or UTG had a monster...then I apologize ....doesnt make the pf call bad.

(deja vu...ive made this post before...I am sure of it)
Old 09-21-2005, 11:19 AM

BTW...just wanted to add that I would rather have a hand besides A9 to call this PF. 35s would be ideal...8T, 76 etc...A9 is not something I am excited about. This call is all about pot odds and mostly implied odds. 50 into 300 and the possibility of stacking someone on the cheap. UTG raisers are great implied odds makers.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:46 AM

fold preflop. period
Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold preflop. period

[/ QUOTE ]
The value of this hand review isn't the pre-flop decision. The value is in realizing that you can't check/call the whole way. You have to find out where you stand. If you're going to call a t250 bet anyway, you might as well put it in yourself and see what happens here. Find out where you stand on the flop instead of at the showdown.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, at the low-buyins a minraise UTG will mean they have AA-QQ about 30% of the time, maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to point out that this is very inaccurate. 3% would be a better estimate than 30%.

Irieguy
Old 09-21-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, at the low-buyins a minraise UTG will mean they have AA-QQ about 30% of the time, maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's important to point out that this is very inaccurate. 3% would be a better estimate than 30%.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

ty!
Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 PM

For those who lead the flop and are called, where do you go from there?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who lead the flop and are called, where do you go from there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Lead the turn. You've either got him kicked or he's (more likely) got a PP lower than QQ. You'll find out if you're in trouble here.