Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-19-2005, 09:56 PM

Default What do you push when shortstacked ?

Let me preface this by saying I play exclusively at the 10/1 level.

Over the past 150 games, either my cards are "running cold" or I am playing badly, or both. Because I am not doing well, I am beginning to second guess myself.

Therefore this post in asking your opinion on what range of hands do you push when shortstacked and there are still at least 5 to six players in the game.

As an example, once I slip under 10 X BB, and blinds are at least 50/100, I will look for any two reasonable cards and "push" as long as I am the 1st one in the pot (even if UTG).

I consider reasonable to be Ax, Kx, Qx, JT, or any small pair.

Is this too agressive?

Please advise.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: What do you push when shortstacked ?

yes, pushing A2o from UTG w/ 9x BB is bad poker on the bubble or earlier. Get eastbay's tool, and mess around with that...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:17 PM

As a PP$11 player myself I will offer what I think. Yes, you are being to aggressive if you are open pushing hands like JT or Qx or Kx. I believe much too aggressive.

Here's why.

Most people at the $11s are way too loose. They will call with any Ace, lots of kings, some queens and such. Especially if it is 5-6 handed, the chance someone has and will call with a hand they deem good is pretty high. So you are pushing JT or QT or something and they will call instantly with A2o or K9o and u are at best 40/60. With say 7-10 BBs with it being 5-6 handed I don't push anything less than a PP, A10s, AJo, KQ UTG. Maybe I am a bit too tight but with 7-10 BBs u have time before you are in major danger. Now from the CO or Button you can push much more possibly up to what you wrote. I still don't like to push Qx or bad Kxs but others probably do.

Now with less than say 7 BBs more is availible to push. I still don't care for pushing Qx UTG into 5 people that will call with a very wide range especially the big stack if there is one. Personally if I had a hand like Q6o UTG with 5 left to act and 6-7 BBs I fold and wait for something better. I'd rather have something like 98o in the SB or on the button that have Q6 UTG.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:47 PM

I think that 10 x BB is too early to be indiscriminately so aggressive. Regarding the specific hand requirements to push all-in, it depends on a lot of parameters. The only exception might be the pocket pairs: you're most likely to face overcards if your little pair gets called (50/50) - not as bad as having your Q9 facing AQ...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:34 PM

When pushing preflop you have to consider the following things
1. Position
2. How many people at the table
3. Your opponents calling ranges
4. Stack Size
5. Your cards
It seems to me you are ignoring 1,2, and 3.