Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2003, 06:45 PM

Default 2001 tort cost: 721.00 per citizen

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] investors business daily 3-4-03 p. a15 reports that in year 2001, there was 205.4 billion in tort costs in usa. this is a 78 %jump from 1980(inflation adjusted), and 729%jump from 1950...

gl [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 2001 tort cost: 721.00 per citizen

Think how high it would be if doctors paid out on every death caused by malpractice that isn't reported or taken to court. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

P.S. Does tobacco settlement count?

P.P.S. 721.00 X .33 = $237.00. I think lawyers deserve more than 237 per head.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:33 PM

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] the u.s. has 5% of world's population, yet 70%of world's lawyers...lucky u.s....lol..boy that tobacco settlement really shut the tobacco companies down...did nothing for health care as state legislators strapped for cash use the money for funding on-going projects..the only winners were the lawyers..lol

to be both a lawyer and a politician is to be twice a thief...is the real truth...

lawyers are killing our freedom and economy much like the commisars killed the soviet union...it's a wonder that people put up with is crap...jmho..gl [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 10:45 PM

Look, as the song goes, "Send lawyers, guns and money, the **** has hit the fan."

This country has a hell of a lot of money and a whole lot of guns. The lawyers follow. So forget the 5% of the population bit and count how many lawyers per dollar/per gun. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 11:43 PM

"the u.s. has 5% of world's population, yet 70%of world's lawyers..."

I find this to be a rather meaningless statistic. We are a large country with complex institutions in government, business, corporations, banking etc with an enormous amount of regulations. We need these lawyers. Have you ever read even one small section of the Federal Register and tried to figure out what it all means. I have. It is all what I call, "Lawyer logic". You have to have this interpreted. Think of it this way.

Bible ---- Priest to interpret the bible to layman.
Federal Register ------ Lawyer to interpret the law to layman.

The Supreme Court is like the Pope. See. It all starts to make sense after all.

Besides, if you are ever in the clutches of the supposed Criminal Justice System, believe me; You will soon fall in love with your lawyer. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

-Zeno; Could not let you fight the battle alone HDPM. I'll send you my bill. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 11:49 PM

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] duh..who wrote the rules and regulations:..lawyers..lol..they created their own game...where they are the winners..lol...but take a look at other industrialized nations...none..none come close to u.s. shyster%..they are maggots on society... [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 03-05-2003, 11:54 PM

Default Re: P.S. Re: Tobacco Settlement

Because I find the tobacco settlement wrong on several levels, I have a tobacco settlement money platform if I am ever elected/appointed to the Idaho legislature. I intend to suggest that the tobacco money go to buying fully automatic weapons for citizens who are in the militia by statute. This will make the ATF mad. It will make the federal tobacco do-gooders mad. It will probably make the tobacco companies mad. Soccer mommies will definitely be mad. I think even the gun lobby will be mad. The nut cases will like me and forgive me some of my libertarian and anti-bigot bent. I might only last a term, but it will be hilarious. If I last more tan one term it will really be funny. I don't think I'll get the chance to test my idea though.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:04 AM

Other similarly complex, industrialized nations don't have anywhere near the mass of lawyers that this country does - and they don't seem to be the worse off for it. Those stats are quite indicative of the prevalence of lawyers in the US relative to the rest of the world. Of course, they aren't quite as extreme as 70% and 5% if you exclude third world and developing countries, but there's still a huge difference.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:06 AM

"they are maggots on society"

Maggots eat dead flesh. You should have called lawyers leeches, they survive on live flesh. More appropriate analogy.

As for lawyers creating their own game..that is partly true. But the reasons for America being a litigious and overly regulated society can not all be blamed on one profession. Lawyers are just the most visible and easy target to hang problems on that are more deeply rooted in a number of elements in our society/culture, not just "the lawyers". In my opinion anyway.

-Zeno
Old 03-06-2003, 03:11 AM

http://august1.com/pubs/articles/lawyers.htm

A bit dated, but this link provides info. that seems to refute the claim that we have 70% of the world's lawyers here.

Also, a much higher percentage of smokers get divorced than non-smokers. Another reason to be anti-smoking: its elimination might rid us of the need for some divorce lawyers.