Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Land of the Dead

You left out going to the bar for happy hour.

Swede
Old 06-24-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You left out going to the bar for happy hour.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! This is why I bother living! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2005, 01:50 PM

Jake, did you like 28 days? I can see you hating the last half but what about the first half?

Also, Dawn of the dead remake, did you like that one? The one with Ving Rames.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jake, did you like 28 days? I can see you hating the last half but what about the first half?

Also, Dawn of the dead remake, did you like that one? The one with Ving Rames.

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh* I did not say anywhere that I hate all zombie movies. I said they're pretty much alike, and they've made too many the last couple of years. No, I didn't like 28 days. Yea, I thought the one with Ving was o.k. I liked Shaun of the Dead too. And there was one other one the last couple of years that I thought was o.k. but the names are all so similar I don't really remember it. At the end, they end up in some military compound or something.

edit: o.k. i take it back. that last one i was thinking of was 28 days later. i had it confised with the other one where the kids are in the cabin turning into zombies. what was that one?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:18 PM

I'd bet far less than 1% of the population has even heard of all those movies, and not much more would have a chance to see even a majority of them. For most of us, what some drunk Canadian filmed on his home video camera or what banged around hillbilly drive-ins for three weeks two summers ago doesn't count.

For zombie movies the average moviegoer might have seen or heard of that came out in the last year or two, I'd only bring up Dawn of the Dead remake, Shaun of the Dead, and 28 Days Later. Each one was kind of unusual in its own way, and taken together they don't make for a flood.

Zombie movies are going into a bit of a revival lately, but that's cool. Everything goes in cycles, and there weren't a whole lot of even close to mainstream ones coming out for a long time. It's not like they flooded the media like vampire movies or something, which really did flood the media pretty hard. And all three I noted above were much better than your standard horror exploitation crap flick.

As to zombies always doing the same thing, well, that's what zombies do. Who wants to see a romantic comedy with them?

Actually scratch that. I think I WOULD find some smarmy cliched kissy face stuff with Sandra Bullock and Jude Law or something a lot more bearable to watch if they actually WERE zombies instead of just acting like them. When they inevitably fell backwards laughing into a swimming pool, it might actually be funny for the first time if their legs and arms floated out of their pants and sleeves and their guts started unfurling in the water and releasing Snickers bars. Now that would make winsome, vaguely miffed Yuppies with freeze-frame smiles finally worth watching.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As to zombies always doing the same thing, well, that's what zombies do. Who wants to see a romantic comedy with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been done. It's called Dead Alive. I'm not sure how I feel about that movie. There were tons of parts that made me laugh. There were also a lot of parts that made me want to turn off the TV.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:50 PM

Just read through the descrip on netflix. Sounds like it wallows in the gross-outs a bit too much for my taste.