Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 09:08 PM

Default Too aggressive?

Live 2/4 game. I had been there for 15 minutes, and noticed that the table (and villain [UTG] ) was EXTREMELY loose. No reads on their aggression/passiveness. I had no image because: 1. i dont think these players even bothered to make a read. 2. i had been there for 15 minutes.

(2/4 Live Hold'em) (10 handed)
Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="red">Villain Raises UTG</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="red">Hero Reraises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="red">Villain Caps</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>, MP2 calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (23 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Villain Bets</font>, <font color="red">Hero Raises</font>, MP2 folds but shows A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="red">Villain Calls</font>.

Turn: (13.5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Villain Checks</font>, <font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, <font color="red">Villain Calls</font>

River: (15.5 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="red">Villain Checks</font>, <font color="red">Hero Bets</font>, <font color="red">Villain Raises</font>, <font color="red">Hero Calls</font>

Final Pot: 19.5 BB

Sooo...too aggressive? I was hoping the guy was playing his overcards or his lower pocket pair aggressively.

I'm not sure, but I think my river bet isnt so good.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

it kind of rankles to be raised on the river, and the only way you think you can make yourself feel better is to fold and be right. but really it's insignificant, because you would have been perfectly happy to have capped the flop and that's the same amount of money. so you put those two SB's on the river instead of the flop. no big deal. you make an appropriate investment in your hand. you might say that this outlook is to disregard the details of the hand. but you don't need to labor over the impossibly close decision of whether he could be bluffing. (circular argument: 'he couldn't be bluffing' therefore it would be a great time to bluff...)
Old 06-20-2005, 09:14 PM

the question is, do you believe the 6 improved his hand. I don't. so should you three-bet? probably not b/c that will fold out all the pure bluffs (but not AA). but it should get a call from QQ and other big PP's. still I probably wouldn't unless I knew he was a true idiot. it's too likely he has FH and wanted to make sure not to fold out AK with his turn raise.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 PM

I think this was a good play. Your big pairs play well against loose opponents and even for someone being loose I don't someone would raise under the gun with x6. So I might even reraise at the end. Dont be afraid to lose hands with big pocket pairs at a very loose table. Its gonna happen but your bound to win more than your fair share at these tables.

Plus the flop was a perfect one for you.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 PM

I think that this hand is pretty standard.

Sucks if his A6 outdrew you or whatever.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Everything looks good up until the river. For a bet to be correct, you need to be sure that 2 things are true:
1. villain could have TT;
2. if villain has AK, he will call.

In general, I don't think that is the case in this hand. Check behind.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:17 PM

you shouldn't think twice about calling this river raise, not even for a second. (and you can consider reraising.)
Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything looks good up until the river. For a bet to be correct, you need to be sure that 2 things are true:
1. villain could have TT;
2. if villain has AK, he will call.

In general, I don't think that is the case in this hand. Check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't think twice about calling this river raise, not even for a second. (and you can consider reraising.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraising here is horrible IMO.