Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-20-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Troublesome hand from a home game

Had an interesting hand come up in my home game sit n go style tournament yesterday.

3 players to the flop - I was BB with 97.

UTG is a pretty weak player who calls down with ace high and low pairs a lot.
SB is a smart TAG-ish player.

Flop comes:

10 9 8

SB checks. I bet 1 dollar. UTG calls. SB calls.

Turn comes 6, giving me a straight.

SB bets 2 dollars, I raise 2 dollars, UTG raises 2 more dollars. SB calls. I call.

River comes a K.

SB checks. I check. UTG bets 4 dollars. SB raises all in for 10 dollars more (the amount now bet covers me, so I have to go all in to showdown)

I... ?

(Sorry about the format. But this wasn't on the internet, and I'm not sure if there is a converter for non internet hands. At any rate, it should be easy enough to follow, and the suits are irrelevant in this hand - ie. no flush draws)

Results will follow.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Troublesome hand from a home game

Your format was fine -- clear and readable. The only thing I would suggest is to restate the entire board at the turn and river.

Note that the K didn't help anyone. If anyone is ahead of you, they were already ahead on the flop, with 7J or JQ. So it depends a lot on your read of the other players. The typical weak-loose player (UTG) would not have waited until the river to raise with a straight, so I don't really fear him. He might chop with you, but I really doubt he beats you. More likely he saw the two checks on the river as weakness and now he figures his two pair is good.

Of course, the TAG in the SB is the one to fear, and you made a good choice getting position on him. If he is a good player who likes to trap, then I could easily believe that he has you beaten and waited until the river. Since you were driving the betting, he didn't want to raise the flop or turn because he didn't want the weak player to face a double bet if you raised. Instead, he wanted to check-raise through the bad player. On the other hand, TAG did close the betting on the turn. You would think that with a better straight than yours, he would have made his check-raise there.

This brings me to my other analysis: If he is a truly great player, then he might have the same straight you do, and he checked because he feared that you have a higher one. When you checked also, he knew exactly what you have. When the weak player bet, he made the analysis I made above, that weak player has two pair, and he has suddenly realized that he might be able to push you off the pot and get the whole thing for himself.

But I know that I would never be able to make his analysis at the table, and I would certainly never be able to make this counter-analysis at the table. More likely, he has the nuts and just waited till the river to trap. I have found that when you are thinking of calling and hoping for a chop, you should just fold.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Troublesome hand from a home game

Some of the replies were right...

SB had QJ for the nut straight.
UTG had a 7 as well.

Unfortunately... I didn't think about the situation near enough and made a crying call in hopes of a split at best, I guess...

REBUY!

Thanks for the responses.