Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 11:07 AM

Default Butcherd turn play- AKA- \"I\'m a pansy\"

I don't have the hand history so some of the details are approximated.

Absolute poker- $1-$2 NL, 10 seated.

Key players
Villain 1 (SB) ~$200, Villain 2(MP) ~$150, Hero (LP) ~$180

Table has been pretty solid, no one getting too out of line and I am up about $80 playing solid ABC. No PT stats.

Hero gets K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in LP

UTG calls,UTG +1 calls, Villian 2 calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, Villian 1 Raises to $8, 1 fold, UTG+1 calls, Villain 2 calls, Hero calls, Co calls, 1 fold.

Whew- so thats 5 handed to the flop with a $43 pot

Flop- 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain 1 bets $4, UTG+1 calls, Villain 2 raises to $10, Hero calls, CO folds, Villain 1 calls, UTG+1 folds.

pot ~$75

I figured I'd call for the implied odds w/ the gutshot

Turn- Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Perfect card for me

Villain 1 checks, Villain 2 bets $15.....my action?

Ok, I guess the title of this post is a big hint that I screwed up. I put V1 on AK/AA, and V2 on a set (actually I was dreaming that they both had sets)so my biggest concern was of the board pairing on the river. Even if an Ace hit on the river I would have the nuts for at least a split so I wussed out and just called. Villain 1 called too

Pot- $110

River- K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

(censored)! OMG I can't believe I didn't think of the King hitting and making a A high straight possible.

Villian 1 bets $15 (WTF??), Villain 2 folds (WTF??), Hero calls $15 because he is a big nancy fish and pays off Villain 1's A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

So I'm thinking I should have made it about $80 to go on the turn. After all I have the nuts and they have to draw right?

regards,
Tim
Old 06-06-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Butcherd turn play- AKA- \"I\'m a pansy\"

I don't understand you're reasoning on the turn, were you slowplaying or afraid of getting cracked on the river? In any case, you need to put in some kind of raise, although it's 50/50 whether a minraise would drop villain 1 in any case (and do you really want to drop him, he's only got 3 outs, and another 4 to the sucker straight).

Folding on the river would be terrible btw.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:36 PM

Preflop is questionable but not terrible. The river you played correctly. It is on the flop, where you were painfully loose, and the turn, where you were painfully weak, that your mistakes happened.

You called a bet AND a raise with a gutshot and an overcard? What were you thinking?

And, if you are going to make this many mistakes in post-flop play, you really ought to tighten up preflop, which means throwing away KJs.

However, the river, where you had the harshest criticism for yourself, is the only round that you played correctly. There are lots of two-pair and the like hands that would have bet out, here, so it is an easy call at better than 8-to-1.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 PM

Wow, there were so many things wrong with that play, I don't even know where to start. The most glaring mistake that I saw was cold calling a raise with just a gutshot and an overpair that may or may not have been good. You should have either folded, or semi-bluff raised.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:11 PM

ok, thanks for ripping me a new one.

I'm working on it... seems like I can have a few hours or days even of making good decisions and just go to pieces like this out of nowhere. Sorta like watching a train wreck.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM

preflop fine, flop fine, turn absolutely brutally ridiculously horrifically stupendously terrible, river fine.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turn absolutely brutally ridiculously horrifically stupendously terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm worried that you're holding in too much... you gotta let it out and tell me how you really feel. *LOL*
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
turn absolutely brutally ridiculously horrifically stupendously terrible

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm worried that you're holding in too much... you gotta let it out and tell me how you really feel. *LOL*
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. I think there was a better play available on the turn. Sorry that wasn't clear.