Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Combo hand, TPGK + Flush Draw against a maniac question.

Did I misplay this preflop or flop? Villain is a Super-lagarific maniac. out of the last 25 hands or so he has gone all in for $100 into $2 pots preflop. He overbets every pot. He's something like VP$IP 83, PFR% 45ish. I have about 70 hands on him at the time.

Party Poker $100 Max No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($102.9)
Button ($82.95)
SB :#A500AF(Superlagalicous MANIAC)/ ($120)
BB ($68.3)
UTG ($92.4)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB :#A500AF(Superlagalicous MANIAC)/ posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">SB :#A500AF(Superlagalicous MANIAC)/ (poster) raises to $9.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $6, Button calls $6.

Flop: ($31) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Superlagalicous MANIAC bets $50</font>, Hero calls $92.90 (All-In), Button folds, Superlagalicous MANIAC calls $42.90.

Turn: ($216.80) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($216.80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $216.80

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has (three of a kind, jacks).
Hero has Kh Qh (flush, king high).
Superlagalicous MANIAC has Js Jc (three of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins $216.80. </font>
Old 06-03-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Combo hand, TPGK + Flush Draw against a maniac question.

[ QUOTE ]
Did I misplay this preflop or flop? Villain is a Super-lagarific maniac. out of the last 25 hands or so he has gone all in for $100 into $2 pots preflop. He overbets every pot. He's something like VP$IP 83, PFR% 45ish. I have about 70 hands on him at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shove 'em in. Sucks that he actually had you beat this time, but I'm glad the river was g00t. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-dB
Old 06-03-2005, 01:51 PM

I wouldnt call a reraise preflop with KQs against this player as you will be behind even if you hit, he can easily have AQ/K, and you will often find yourself with just a draw.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt call a reraise preflop with KQs against this player as you will be behind even if you hit

[/ QUOTE ]

What?

Did I miss something in the description? Villain sounds unpredictable and PFR's, what, 45% of hands?

If there's anyone against whom you might NOT be dominated with KQ, this seems like the guy..

-dB
Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Against a tight player for whom that bet means a set or better, you should fold. But against a maniac it's an easy push, as you did. Lots of maniacs will make this play as a semi-bluff with the flush draw, sometimes even a worse flush draw than yours! Imagine how juicy that would be.

Consider that, with pair and flush draw on a two-suit flop against a single opponent, you are either ahead or you have the best draw. That is, he might be ahead but then he can't have the flush draw, or he might have a better draw, but then you must be ahead. Since your pair was top pair and your kicker is higher than the second card, you are only badly behind a set. Even top two is nearly a coin flip with you.

So, I think it was the right play for the range of hands he might have had, even though it turned out to be the wrong play for the specific hand he had. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Yes my bad, didnt get that part,
Old 06-03-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah, thats what I was thinking when I did it, even if I was behind, then I had to have a better flush draw than him, since he can't have AK hearts. I really was shocked when I checked the hand history and he had JJ. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:40 PM

The thing with maniacs is that when they min-raise it's often a very strong hand, because they suddenly get aces and want to be very sure they get action. So unless you have seen him min-raise a PF raise before, I'd be a bit careful here. Flop there's not much else you can do though.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:56 PM

I play it exactly the same way. Honestly, I can't see any other way to play it.