Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2005, 05:56 PM

Default 3/6 AK hand, capped PF

PFR is your standard TAG, except very aggressive. He's playing 19% of his hands and raising about 10%, nothing out of line that I can remember. We've played a couple of hundred hands together. I'm obviously either way ahead or behind on the flop, and I really don't want him to slow down (his AF is over 4.5), but I also don't want the rest of the field to get cheap cards.

The pot is huge though, just taking it down should come first I assume?

The other people in the hand are typical 3/6 barns, nothing notable. I haven't played with either long enough to tell anything important.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero...?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: 3/6 AK hand, capped PF

well either commit to calling him down or raise here unless you're certain you can fold to a turn raise. even then, i'm not excited about a line that doesn't plan on getting to showdown.

that said, it's hard to face the two limping donks with poor enough odds to make it wrong for them to continue. the aggression factor of your opponent makes it likely he's gonna love to raise or fold, and it wouldn't be terrible at this point to find out which he's more inclined to do.

so i lean towards raise here, calling down if 3-bet, betting if checked to.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:12 PM

I'm showing this hand down for sure unless the board 4-flushes or something crazy. Even then, I'd consider it.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so i lean towards raise here, calling down if 3-bet, betting if checked to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, but here's another line that might be reasonable given the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the board and the size of the pot. If you call here and raise the TAG's turn bet you will wait until your equity goes up when a non-[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls and you also make the donks pay 2xBBs for whatever they're drawing to.

That said, I'd probably raise the flop and call down if 3bet. (bet if checked to.) I just wanted to throw that random thought out there.

-Craig

edit: also yes, I am getting to SD unless something goes really crazy.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:34 PM

my uncertainty stems really from my interpretation of hero's description of the villain. a relative tag that's too aggressive postflop screams tricky to me. loves to toss out bluff and semi-bluff bets, loves to make big lay-downs... i think he's more likely to continue a bluff even if i raise him on the flop than most, i think he's potentially capable of folding after the flop when i raise even though he has proper odds, and i think he's capable of bluff or semi-bluff 3-betting the turn enough that i won't feel comfortable laying down if he pulls this nonsense, but i don't like it. if the two donks have flush draws they're not going anywhere, anyway, and otherwise i'm pretty unconcerned about giving them cheap cards to draw it.

all of this makes me dislike a turn raise, but i could see it being a viable option
Old 04-25-2005, 07:04 PM

i think i would lean toward calling the flop bet and then raising the turn. you are going to show this hand down almost always and i think you are in front most of the time here. i think that raising here does nothing to protect your hand. i dont think that a flop bet is bad though i think i would wait for the turn
Old 04-25-2005, 07:11 PM

There's really not much to protect from here, the pot is so big that flush draws call no matter what, gutshots definitely have odds to call, and the PFR is either my bitch or I'm his.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's really not much to protect from here, the pot is so big that flush draws call no matter what, gutshots definitely have odds to call, and the PFR is either my bitch or I'm his.

[/ QUOTE ]

If everyone calls one bet on the flop and you raise the turn, no gutshots will be able to call profitably getting only 7-1.

I like calling the flop, raising a non-heart turn, and folding to a 3bet.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gutshots definetely will not have odds to call if you raise. By raising you not only protecting your hand but sometimes you can win the pot right away. Another benefit of raising is you may get some useful information about other players hands. About flush draws, yes, if they are there they are going to stay and if they hit they hit, you can't help it.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM

You're both right, I'm in my 14th hour today and really tired [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img].