Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Two Part Question (Winning Players Please)

Okay guys.

So the other night I'm sitting at my computer as usual. 2 IM conversations going. Reading 2+2. Watching Sportscenter. My phone is ringing occasionally, I'm trying to catch ESPN Insider in another window...and of course I'm playing a SNG and a MTT.

I then realize that, this is EXACTLY why I am not always on the top of my game, and why I go through insane streaks where I make a ton of money and then dive bomb for a month at a time. It also explains why I feel that I am a much better live player than online player at times.

So I have a question for some of you winning players out there.

#1. What do you guys do to keep concentrated on the poker going on? Do you constantly keep notes? Do you play 4-8 tables at a time? Do you not allow things like TV's and phones to be on when you play?

#2. Is it POSSIBLE to be a great and successful player with all of these distractions? I'm not going to throw 2+2 elite names out there, but are any of you guys consistently making FT's playing through the same distractions I am?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Two Part Question (Winning Players Please)

Excellent question and guilty as charged. I'm playing right now.

Thinking back I do seem to do my best when I minimise distractions. I'd definately be interested in what some of you do to set the mood.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:43 AM

Suppose it depends what level you're playing at, but playing with these distractions can sometimes work to your advantage too in thatyou will likely tend to play much more ABC poker.

Nothing more infuriating when you try to get fancy and your opponents just don't get it [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

stoneii
Old 02-14-2005, 04:47 AM

ZB, you know I'm no elite player, but this is what I do:

1. No multi-tabling. I'm just not able to do that. No TV, but I will answer calls if the phone rings and try to make it very quick.

2. To keep me concentrated, I keep narrating/comentating the play at the table. It forces me to analyse every single hand, and after a while you'll have a pretty good read on the players you're up against. It has been a *very* effective method for me.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:08 AM

wow, not that have the diligence or interest to do it, but #2 really does sound great.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:05 AM

Depends on the buyin level.

If its a $500 buyin I will only have one table going and try like hell to keep my focus there (occasionally open a $5 SnG to pound out some frustration)

If its a regular night where I play the Super plus another $100 or so I will keep just those two tables open.

I always have 2+2 open, but try not to get too involved during a tourney (except for updates in the "official" threads.)

I never have a TV on, but I do play music while I play.

If I'm in a $20 or $30 I will open some SnGs as well and probably 4 table as ABC rules the day in these tourneys and I try not to get too fancy until the bubble.

I think Lloyd is going to be discussing this in his "series" based on his poll.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 02-14-2005, 12:02 PM

I love the narrating/commenting idea. So do you do a Mike Sexton impersonation or anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or do you just give a simple play by play.

I'm no elite player but I am a winning player over time. I will multi-table in a limit game but rarely when playing a NL tournament or SnG.

I am also guilty of many allowing many distractions (TV, 2+2, etc...) into my game. I will be interested in hearing how many others allow the same. Good question.

Well off to practice my Mike Sexton impersonation, now if I can only find a Shana Hiatt look-alike to throw to at the breaks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love the narrating/commenting idea. So do you do a Mike Sexton impersonation or anything [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] or do you just give a simple play by play.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the voice and everything... I wish I could have the Travel Channel here in Montreal. I only get to see the WPT when I'm in NYC.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:04 PM

Distracted? - play limit

Focused? - play no-limit

Tournament? - after you get into a good chip position realtive to the field and blinds, get focused

I realize life is more complicated than that, but I think if you stick to those three basic principles, you eliminate many of the distraction issues.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Well off to practice my Mike Sexton impersonation, now if I can only find a Shana Hiatt look-alike to throw to at the breaks [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You might lose interest in poker altogether!