Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise

First off, I'm really hoping this doesn't qualify as a zoo post, but if so, bitch me out and I'll repost there.

I've been 4-tabling 2/4 and 3/6 for quite a while with the usual 2+2 2001fp pt/gt setup, and have been doing fine. I'm bankrolled for 5/10, except I'm cashing out a fair amount of winnings and don't want to interrupt the current steady cash flow that would happen with a big downswing. I'm 23 with my first job out of college, so the ability to double my paycheck through poker is very helpful. My long-run goal is to be beating 15/30, but I'm well aware that I a) need to build my roll, and b) need work on my game. However, in the short-run (next 6 to 12 months) I need to make some real cash so I can afford a solid down payment on a condo and stop throwing money away renting.

So I'm thinking of moving up to 8 tables and staying at 2/4 and 3/6 and have a few questions. How much would you guess your hourly rate and bb/100 changed? Is 8-tables a huge adjustment from 4? I know that bb/100 will probably fall somewhat, but that should be more than compensated for the greater # of hands played.

Any advice on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Moving from 4 tables to 8 tables - please advise

uh...

Try 6 tables first.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Mine fell enough to make me reconsider whether it'd be better for me to 4-table or 8-table.

However, I'm not very arduous with my note taking and don't use playerview, etc etc.

I'd recommend trying it for awhile if you're comfortable with 4, and if you don't feel overwhelmed at first, give it a long enough spin to be able to make some judgments.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Thanks fellas, just trying to figure out how profitable it would be before springing for the necessary equipment.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:52 PM

I only max 4 table... I have a laptop, and even the 4 screens gets crowded... but I have heard it suggested to even just add one more table at a time. Do that for a session or 2 and if you feel comfortable keep adding them! jumping from 4-8 seems overwhelming.

-good luck
K_squared
Old 02-11-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Try 6 tables first.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-11-2005, 03:04 PM

I was four tabling the 15/30 for months before I invested in a dual monitor set up. I felt like I could do 4 tables in my sleep so I decided it was time to try 8. Long story short it was just too much for me. I currently do 6 tables and am comfortable with the 6. I would suggest working your way up to 8 and see how it goes for you. You may be able to do 8 in your sleep and you'll be looking to buy a third monitor.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:41 PM

I also just invested in a two monitor set up and find it a bit much. I had read so many players playing eight games I thought I'd give it a try.

Well, even six games seems a bit much as I find it overwhelming and distracting switching from monitor to monitor.

I'll give it a try since I have the set up but feel it may be a bit much. I also felt my level of play went down probably more than just a little.

I do actually like having the extra computer and monitor to check email, surf, but may not be using it for poker.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:51 PM

Best way to get to 8 is to add one at a time and get comfortable with each addition.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:12 AM

My BB/100 has dropped just over 1 BB/100 hands since I made the jump from 4-8 tables. This is over 200,000 hands.

There are 2 reasons for this loss.1) It's very hard to practice good table selection playing that many tables.
2) I started playing in the mornings/afternoons where the games are tighter so I could put my hours in.

Even tho my BB/100 has dropped just over 1BB/100 hands my hourly rate has increased about 25% and on top of that I am making twice the rakeback I was previously, so the move form 4-8 tables was definately worth it for me.

With 4 tables I was always in good games in 2 or 3 or sometimes all 4 of the tables I was on. With 8 tables I don't have the luxury of waiting for the juciy games to open(you don't have the time) and and I "settle for ok games"

My basic rule is for evening games any less than 7BB's for an extended period of time and I bail from the table. Afternoon or day games any less than 6BB's and I bail from the table. Once I sit at a new table I quickly scan the stats of the players and decide if the pot average met my minimum requirements cause the game was loose or because it was full of TAG's. At this point I either post or bail and find a new table. I constantly am monitoring the table averages and I probably switch tables an average of 10-12 times an hour.(This itself can seem like a chore)

I also was able to do 4 tables in my sleep and decided to add more. I went straight from 4 to 8 tables, I did not slowly add a table as some of the other posters suggested.

However, I would recommend adding 1 table at a time until you are comfortable with the extra tables. (I am a stubborn guy and had decided not to do this, the smart thing and almost gave up doing 8 a couple of days into it.) Now I can comfortably do 8 and could probably add another table or two in there but I'm not setting up a 3rd monitor so 8 will be my limit.