Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 02-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Default KK: how to play this one.

2/5 NLHE game at the Aladdin the other day. Max buy-in $300. My stack was around $450 as was the guy's to my immediate left. No specific read on him, but he was wearing 2 bracelets and I could not read what was written on them.

I am in MP1 with KK, and raise it to $15. The guy to my left calls as does the BB. 3 players see the flop with a $47 pot. The flop is Q-7-2 rainbow. BB checks. I bet $50 and both players call. The pot now has $197, leaving me and MP2 with around $385 each and the BB with around $200. The turncard is a 10, same suit as the Q. The BB checks again. What is the correct play here? Results to follow...
Old 02-09-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: KK: how to play this one.

Check. There is no way that at least one of them is slowplaying a set, if not both. They called pre-flop, they check/called the flop on a DRAWLESS board. Unless they're both stations with Q's.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:07 PM

I would definitely not check in this situation. Why give someone a chance to backup into a flush, state or two pair? Hands like AQ KQ and QJ will call a substantial bet here thinking their Q is good(Especially AQ). Bet the pot or close to it. If one of them raises you on the turn then it's up to you whether or not to call or raise based on your read. I might have to pay a set or two pair off as well in this situation if I get raised.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:12 PM

No one in their right mind is going to call a pot-sized bet with a 3-flush without being 100% positive that they will be paid off. This is the ultimate drawless board on the flop so perfect for a set of 7's or set of 3's to slowplay. Q's aren't unreasonable either. You will get raised here and you will be forced to make a tough decision.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 NLHE game at the Aladdin the other day. Max buy-in $300. My stack was around $450 as was the guy's to my immediate left. No specific read on him, but he was wearing 2 bracelets and I could not read what was written on them.

I am in MP1 with KK, and raise it to $15. The guy to my left calls as does the BB. 3 players see the flop with a $47 pot. The flop is Q-7-2 rainbow. BB checks. I bet $50 and both players call. The pot now has $197, leaving me and MP2 with around $385 each and the BB with around $200. The turncard is a 10, same suit as the Q. The BB checks again. What is the correct play here? Results to follow...

[/ QUOTE ]

I like checking here - if the guy behind you bets and the BB raises you can fold with a good conscience.

If the guy behind you checks it through then you can call a reasonable bet on the river.

I guess the one tough spot would be if the guy behind you bets (1/2 - pot) and BB folds - I think you probably have to call that as the guy behind you could easily have AQ and think that you missed the flop or have an underpair to the board.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:48 PM

The preflop raise seems a little small, is it your usual?

I would check here and call a moderate bet, fold to a lot of action, as others have suggested.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raise seems a little small, is it your usual?

I would check here and call a moderate bet, fold to a lot of action, as others have suggested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'm lying. Against opponents I respect a lot, I probably play as described. Also against opponents who like to bluff, I'll check and let them fire.

Against most players, I'm betting out again, a little more than half pot this time.

I'll consider folding to a raise, and I will certainly fold to a caller and a raiser.

If I'm just called, I will then plan to check/call the river, unless I have a single opponent who is a calling station, in which case I put him on KQ or AQ and the third bullet gets fired unless Q or A comes.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 PM

Call any bet, but ask for your money back from the pot if the better beats you. They'll do that sometimes if you are nice.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Serious post-

$15 is way too small preflop. You probably could have made it 50 and gotten 4 callers.

On flop, push all in with no ace out.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:16 PM

I would bet around $150.