Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 07:47 AM

Default First post here

Well first off i would like to say that i love these forums. I've been reading them for about 2 months now

Second I'd like to say, what do most people do when they hit a bad stretch? I only play sngs and mtt but lately i've been doing horrible with a mixture of some bad lucks and bad calls with alittle bit of bad play.

So i was kinda wondering if most people would just take a week or so away from the game or tough it out? I only ask before i get so frustrated i lose my entire bankroll. When All i really needed to do was step away! I'm not a pro but I usually hold my own and before the last three days I would finish in about 40-50 percent of sngs. But I think I lost my edge or I'm finding myself getting looser and make bad decisions.

I think my problem is that I won my first big mtt last week and been riding that high for to long think i'm a poker god

Also I see alot abbreviations on this site and was wondering if anyone could give me a link for an explanation of them?
Old 02-03-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: First post here

Abbreviations
Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 AM

thank you for the link

and sorry to anyone who thinks i'm crying was just asking what most ppl would do to clear their head in this situation
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you for the link

and sorry to anyone who thinks i'm crying was just asking what most ppl would do to clear their head in this situation

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Doogie,

Do you play for a living. Do you need the income.

If not then take a couple of days off, go and get drunk, read a book etc

The SNG's will still be there when you come back. If you want to still play poker learn a new game, go play some low limit O8 or 7CS etc.

If you need the income then suck it up and keep playing!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 PM

If you're on tilt and can't play well, step back until you calm down.

If you're not tilting, try going back over the hand histories from the tourneys and try evaluating your play and analyze the hands you thought you made mistakes on. Post tricky hands for feedback.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:41 PM

When you are playing poorly there is only one answer. You must sacrifice a virgin to the poker gods. They are fickle masters, and will know if you present an unclean sacrifice.

In all seriousness though, if you don't need the money then just stop playing. Don't set a time limit on it or anything like that, just decide "right now I dont want to play poker." Pretty soon you will be thinking about it all the time again, and when you start to play you should be as determined and clear headed as ever. I took about a month off that way.

Another thought: try playing B&M (brick and mortar - indoor cardrooms) if there is one in your area at a level you are comfortable with. The slower pace and atmosphere may help get your game back on track.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you are playing poorly there is only one answer. You must sacrifice a virgin to the poker gods.

[/ QUOTE ]

And by sacrifice, of course, we mean sleep with...

--Zetack
Old 02-03-2005, 04:08 PM

You know Doogie Howser?

He just stole my car!

.......it had to be said.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:10 PM

Everyone (winners and losers) have good and bad runs. It is normal to finish in the money 5 out of 6 one table SNG's and then finish out of the money 5 out of 6.

When I am running bad I will tend to play through it if I am playing well.

If i am playing poorly I will tend to take a week or two off. You can study hand histories and reread books.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Link

Link

Btw, "Doogie Howser" is/was kinda my nickname too. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] How'd it come about for you?

Adam