Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 01-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Default An interesting bottom set hand

Just thought this would bring up some discussion on how to play the worst possible set of 2s.

I labeled my opponents as TAG and LAG because I had notes on both of them and the TAG would almost always bet the pot when he had the nuts, and LAG showed some really strange hands he was willing to raise with.

What do you all think of my play? Too tight? Too weak? I think I read the hand right until I froze up at the end.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($13.40)</font>
<font color="#C00000">BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villian 2 (TAG))</font> ($23.40)</font>
UTG ($6.55)
UTG+1 ($8.80)
<font color="#C00000">MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villian 1 (LAG))</font> ($6.80)</font>
MP2 ($9)
CO ($10)
Button ($23.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.25. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
BB <font color="#A500AF">(Villian 2 (TAG))</font> calls $0.25, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villian 1 (LAG))</font> calls $0.25, MP2 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls $0.25, Hero (poster) checks.

Flop: ($1.25) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
chips4me2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian 2 (TAG) bets $0.25</font>, Villian 1 (LAG) calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, chips4me2 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.95</font>, Villian 2 (TAG) calls $2.70, Villian 1 (LAG) calls $2.70, CO folds, chips4me2 folds.

Turn: ($10.60) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Villian 2 (TAG) calls $4, Villian 1 (LAG) calls $3.60 (All-In).

River: ($22.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>
Hero checks, Villian 2 (TAG) checks.

Final Pot: $22.20

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">

Outcome: Hero wins $22.20. </font>
Old 01-24-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: An interesting bottom set hand

Bottom set on a coordinated board is pretty scary, you can often be drawing to 1 out, OR be ahead in the hand (and unable to take much action due to the coordination) but dead if the board pairs.

A good player would've taken the pot away from you on the turn.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:29 PM

Tag ended up having AA72, LAG had the King high diamond flush draw.

You think a good player could read me only having the bottom set in that hand?

Brad
Old 01-24-2005, 04:32 PM

My experience with bottom and middle set with a 3 straight on board in multiway pots has been pretty poor. I would lead out to see where I'm at. Check raising is not the way to play these in multi way pots if you ask me.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think a good player could read your smallish bet on the turn as not being too confident with your hand whatever it was.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:47 AM

You shouldnt be playing rags like that at all. Sure, this one ended up good, but don't make it a habbit [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think a good player could read your smallish bet on the turn as not being too confident with your hand whatever it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd generally tend to agree. However, if you were fairly confident that Villain 1 would have re-raised you on the flop if he had the nuts, then it wasn't so bad. If that was the case though, you might have considered a big turn bet to take the flop away and get rid of any flush or open ended straight draws. Either way, yeah, bottom set on a board like that is a tricky hand.

Also, I'm sure the OP only limped in with a garbage hand like that because he could get in for only a SB.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Looking at this hand, I don't know what I want to
see on the flop - short of the other two dueces, or
777 or JJJ.
My flushes are weak. I have no stright draws. Bottom
set is notoriously weak, and 2's are always on the
bottom.

Frankly, I don't even want to complete in the SB.

Sorry.