Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Can someone explain blind stealing?

Hi, I have ventured into $1/2 at the crypto sites and noticed the play is much tighter than I am used to on some hands. When I am in late position I have tried raising my hands to try and steal the blinds. Sometimes it works and soetimes it doesnt

Question: I started doing this becuase I heard that people have used it on tight tables. I rarely fold if I am in the CO which is a leak [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. When you go for a blind steal, should you have some sort of hand or should you do it with junk? I lost most of my winnings in a short session becuase a blind steal backfired and lost to bottom pair [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-15-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Can someone explain blind stealing?

If I am on the Button and it is folded to me I will raise with any hand that I had already decided was flop worthy.

If I think that the people currently in the Blinds are afraid of raises I will raise with anything when its folded to me.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 AM

I don't see the use of stealing blinds in a cashgame.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you go for a blind steal, should you have some sort of hand or should you do it with junk? I lost most of my winnings in a short session becuase a blind steal backfired and lost to bottom pair [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the problem here (if there was one - suck outs happen) was sticking with an inadequate hand, rather than the initial blind steal. Don't be bashful about folding if you try to steal and get opposition. See the flop, but if you don't have a good hand, fold. When you're deciding to steal, you can assume he has a weak hand, but as soon as he defends you must assume he has at least a little something.

You can do it with junk, but it's better to have at least a shot at winning - like A7o or Q4s. But even then, the main thing is not to be bashful about folding if you get opposition. On the Q4s, for example, I'd see the flop, but if I didn't get Q or 2 more cards of my suit and he's still betting, I fold.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Every time you successfully steal the blinds, you've won 1.5 SB. If you are reasonably selective about the hands you steal with, you can add a little bit to your winrate with this move. As they say, "every little bit counts."

When deciding what hands to steal with, you have to take into account the likelihood of the blinds defending. If the blinds are very tight, you can get away with stealing with more hands. If they will call and see the flop a lot, you need to tighten up your raising standards.

It is also important to select stealing hands that can stand up unimproved. This means that generally you should not steal with "any two." Hands like Axs or A8 and higher and Kxs are better stealing hands than JT because of the increased high card potential.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should learn.

Rob
Old 01-15-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to sound too snippy (but a bit snippy . . . g00t): "I don't see the use of bending down to pick up this money laying on the sidewalk"
Old 01-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Thanks, will look into this. I think my biggest problem was trying to bluff post flop when I got called by a blind. Will try to steal with better hands and back of if I think he hits something.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:36 PM

What sort of situations are you trying to steal in? With which hands?

Rob