Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 03:52 PM

Default DVD Burning newbie

Hello,

I have a DVD burner that burns + format DVD-Rs. I'm pretty much a newbie to this stuff, so I was wondering if someone who has experience creating DVDs could post some how-to links.

I've downloaded many of the WSOP episodes. I believe they are in divx format. How complex is the process of getting them on DVD and playing them on a DVD player. My old DVD player got struck by lightning, so I need to purchase a new one. I'd like to see some suggested dvd players that work well with burned DVDs (if some are better/worse than others).

Also, since I travel some with my job, I'd like to be able to burn some of the DVDs in my home collection to take on the road with me to play on my laptop. Do I need anything special to copy normal DVD movies to a DVDR?

Thanks,

KoW
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Re: DVD Burning newbie

You'll need to study up. Find a tutorial online or use the link at the bottom and download some free software or buy some. Basically, this is what you have to do:

Step 1. Overcome the copyright protection by ripping the DVD content to your harddrive. You need a DVD ripper program.

Step 2. You need to compress the content if your DVD is over 4.7 GB. The DVDs you buy in stores are 9 GB. The ones you can record are 4.7 so you need to compress. You need compression software.

Step 3. Burn the content to a recordable DVD. There is DVD-R and DVD+R. You need to make sure that your DVD player will play -R or +R some play both and some only play one format. Since you have +R, make sure you buy +R blank discs and you buy a DVD player that plays +R.

http://www.jlathamsite.com/dvd/QuickTutorial01.htm
Old 11-20-2004, 04:30 PM

You should find out if your DVD burner is just DVD-R. It's not like CDs where everything is called a CD-R, there's now DVD-R and DVD+R, I have no idea what the difference is.

You don't need to copy your DVDs to a DVD-R to play on the road, just copy them to your hard drive. You can probably find a DVD ripper program on google or wherever.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:47 PM

There are excellent resources at www.doom9.net