Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Default A2s in BB

Villain seems to be overly aggressive PF but that is over a small sample:

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8 BB
Old 12-21-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: A2s in BB

I don't see a need to bet the turn. I would check and hope for an ace. You will not get a pair to fold, and many people will call with overs including better aces that will call a river bet as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:59 PM

Seems fine to me.

SGS
Old 12-22-2005, 12:07 AM

I think I would have let it go on the river and not had the nuts to bet the turn to begin with. Nice bet, I never would have thought ace-high would call you.

- Jim
Old 12-22-2005, 04:43 AM

Just check the turn. THe pot is small and you don't have a hand, don't bother. What do you think villian has after he calls the turn that you beat? Are you hoping to chop with A9? I don't understand the river call.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see a need to bet the turn. I would check and hope for an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't likely to get a second free card and you won't have the odds to call if someone bets so your choices are to bet or check/fold.

Lost Wages
Old 12-22-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just check the turn. THe pot is small and you don't have a hand, don't bother. What do you think villian has after he calls the turn that you beat? Are you hoping to chop with A9? I don't understand the river call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why check the turn? On this board A high is looking pretty damn good. The aggressive PF raiser checked a very harmless looking flop. I doubt he has a pair unless it is 33 (why would he give wheel draws and overcards a free card with and overpair?). Then on the turn SB checked so I doubt he has a pair. The only one I'm worried about at this point is UTG. I think I have the best hand here at least 20% of time and would like to fold live 6-outers.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:49 PM

your problem on the turn is a lack of fold equity. you are almost certainly up against a bigger ace that will call you down, or something like KQ/KJ. many of these hands will bet this turn card anyway, and ~all worse hands will check behind the river when you check/call turn.

when you choose to bet, all big aces and many good overcard hands call, and on the river UI you're stuck with a 50/50 hand out of position while your opponent might value bet big aces and fulls or bluff worse hands if you check. if you bet you aren't getting called by a worse hand either.