Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 11:39 AM

Default 2/4 - Got checkraised when holding over pair. Where am I?

2/4NL on Bodog
Villian just sat down and this is his 1st hand at the table as he "waited for BB".

Hero ($450.00) opens UTG with J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for $12.00
Villian ($500.00) in the BB calls.

$26.00 - FLOP 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks. I bet $20.00. He check raises to $65.00 [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I just moved up limits, so I don't know what the heck is going on here. Part of me says easy fold, but the other part says put $100.00 more on top and push any non spade/ace turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Re: 2/4 - Got checkraised when holding over pair. Where am I?

I've started checking these types of flops more often, especially against players I don't have much of a read on or who I consider unpredictable/tricky. You will get action from a wide range of hands here and you'll have no idea what's good to see on the turn assuming you're not already crushed. Giving away a $26 pot by mistake isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but playing guessing games with your whole stack in jeopardy can be.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 AM

I bet these flops everytime, take it down waaay more often than I expect, and fold to any resistance at all, like in your example.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:06 PM

Your paragraph at the end tells me that you are a little uncomfortable still in your new limit. This is totally normal. My advice is to fold this and in all situations like this until you really know what to expect from your opponents. Guessing is never good in NL, and too often all of us tend to make the bad and more expensive choice when we're confused and think we might be getting played with. It's pretty normall to think that people are bluffing their asses of at the next limit up. Let the paranoia wear off before making big decisions to commit a big chunck of your stack.

gl
Old 12-08-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bet these flops everytime, take it down waaay more often than I expect, and fold to any resistance at all, like in your example.

[/ QUOTE ]

People at Bodog don't fold as much as you'd expect. You can get called by all sorts of crap and they can play really weird. It's damn hard to tell the difference between someone that has you drawing dead and the moron that thinks his top pair is the nuts. The hands that give action on this flop in most cases are making only a small mistake at worst (overcard+draw, pair+draw). If the top card pairs on the turn, or an ace comes... you don't know if they just sucked out on you. Now you're in a position to make mistakes in a pretty big pot.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:44 PM

I would fold this. There's a small chance he's on a complete bluff, but the great majority of the time he has a made hand which you are drawing almost dead too or two high cards with a spade, which are very live against you.

Dumle
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM

Dont be scared. More often than not, you're being semibluffed. Push or call, its your choice. You have to think of these decisions as happening a million times. For me, if I was confronted with this decison a million times, I'd push every time, win unimproved most of the time, draw dead ocassionally, and get sucked out on sometimes.

Now I'm a 6max player, so I tend to be agressive. In 10 max I might just call or could throw away if I had a great read on this guy.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:57 PM

You're either slightly ahead or way behind with no way to really tell. Raising $100 more might cause a villan with the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to push, and you would have to fold even though you were about even.

This is a clear fold to me.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dont be scared. More often than not, you're being semibluffed. Push or call, its your choice. You have to think of these decisions as happening a million times. For me, if I was confronted with this decison a million times, I'd push every time, win unimproved most of the time, draw dead ocassionally, and get sucked out on sometimes.

Now I'm a 6max player, so I tend to be agressive. In 10 max I might just call or could throw away if I had a great read on this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think a push is in order here? I think fold>call>>>>>>>>>pu sh.

Look at the stack sizes...?
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 PM

Easy fold.

Slightly Ahead/Way Behind situation.

If you are convinced this is a semi-bluff (much more likely than a pure bluff), call now, and push any blank turn. You may even get fold equity from AA-QQ.