Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Is Doyles\'s expose the aces play legal?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In a cash game, heads up, I would rule with perfect consistancy that exposing one or both of your hole cards to get a read is legal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

I also agree on your thoughts about multi-way pots, or heads-up side pots with the third player all-in. No dice.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al - why would this move be acceptable in a cash game but not a tournament situation?

Nick
Old 11-18-2005, 04:15 PM

I remember watching some of the older WSOP broadcasts on ESPN Classic.. I swear I saw players table their hand when deciding whether or not to call an all-in when heads-up in a pot. The announcers were never shocked by it. ("Now he's exposing his hand, we see he has the top pair with a weak kicker, he's trying to figure out if it's the best hand.")

Did this practice change in the past 5-10 years?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:11 PM

When this book came out--- showing hands was part of the normal game-- this was live and tourneys.
Now, some rooms will call the hand dead in live play and a few others go with the flow and call it part of the game if the hand is heads up--
Play on------
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al - why would this move be acceptable in a cash game but not a tournament situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because TDA rules don't allow this tactic to be used at all. So if you're in a tournament with TDA rules, you may incur a penalty.

That doesn't really address the question of WHY, I know. Basically if it's within the guidelines of reasonableness and doesn't give any third party an unfair advantage/disadvantage, I personally don't have a problem with it. But if you do it in a tournament, an inexperience player or dealer may try to say you have a dead hand, and even worse, and inexperienced or unknowledgeable floorman might back them up. So it's best to just NOT do it in a tournament, and it's probably best to just NOT do it at all.

al
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did this practice change in the past 5-10 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

More so than the practice, the average experience level of the players, dealers and floors dropped about 99.9%. So yes.

al