Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Default 1st vegas poker trip happening in 10 days.... any potential pitfalls?

i've been playing 1-2 NL at local underground games 2-3 days a week for the past 6 months. i have been very successful playing a boring rocky style. typical games have 2-4 smallish "pros" and and 2-3 complete donks.

any reason i shouldnt expect similar results in the typical vegas cardrooms? i will be there during the week so cant count on loose vegas weekend action.

im staying at excaliber and plan on playing there plus the MGM, baileys, IP, as well as 1 nite somewheres downtown. will be there for 4 nights.

ive read alot of posts over the last year regarding places to play. having said that, anyone care to offer any advice? my first trip so my first goal is to find out if i can start going with regularity, having poker pay for the trip. my secondary goal is to play alot of rooms and get the lay of the land.

thanks in advance for anything helpful.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: 1st vegas poker trip happening in 10 days.... any potential pitfalls?

I just got back from my 1st trip to vegas and also stayed at the Excal. I really enjoyed playing the 2-6spread LHE game there. It was a mix of old 'rocks' and young LAG's. One nice thing about the games there, you get to spin a wheel to win $$ if you get aces cracked. And stay away from the Luxor tourneys next door. Have fun
Old 11-04-2005, 11:00 AM

Default Re: 1st vegas poker trip happening in 10 days.... any potential pitfalls?

The excalibur 2-4 game is an absolutely crazy loose game. It was 2 weeks ago anyway. It was not an odd thing to go 10 to a capped flop. I also enjoy the WYNN 4-8 and 8-16 games. A little tighter but still fairly good. MGM 1-2 NL is pretty good too.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:36 AM

I posted a Vegas trip report a couple of days ago. My conclusion was that a visit to Ballys was paramount for the low buy-in NLHE player.

The players are extremely poor. If you are patient---which most rocks are---you will take down some nice pots.

As for comparing it to your local "underground" game, well that is only possible if we played at your game. If I compare the Vegas cardrooms to my local $1/$2 game and/or playing on-line, I come to these conclusion:
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] My local game is WAY tighter, less aggressive post-flop and all-around more difficult. I'm sure you will feel the same after your trip.
[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] On-line has better players, mostly, but you will find the same level of aggression in Vegas. People like to push their chips all-in, and some like to call all-ins, almost regardless of the potential strength of their opponent's hand.
[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Players at these cardrooms rarely paid attention to pot odds---whether calling on a draw or trying to price out (by betting, raising) those who were drawing.
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Like at your local games, there will be one or two guys who will try to intimidate everyone at the table with aggressiveness. Invariably, these players will get paid off with their monster hands when frustrated players decide to fight back. (Don't fall for the trap. Play solid. Play your game, not theirs.)

All of these things might seem obvious, but hopefully you will find it helpful.

Have a good time. Post a report when you get back.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Regarding the LUXOR tournies. If you're a LL player do play 2-4 during the Sunday afternoon most wins tournament with the locals. They loosen way-up trying to get wins (most wins gets $300+) and you can make tons of $$$ from punishing this strategy.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im staying at excaliber and plan on playing there plus the MGM, baileys, IP, as well as 1 nite somewheres downtown. will be there for 4 nights...
...my secondary goal is to play alot of rooms and get the lay of the land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find that once there you won't move around to try as many card rooms as much as you think in that short of a period. If you're playing low NLHE, find a room you're comfortable in and stay for a good chunk of time to see how the play goes. You'll find the same room changes personality thoughout the day. I personally would never recommend low limit NL to anyone. Go big (or at least medium) or go home. I've tried the 1-2 NL at MGM while waiting for a seat in the $500 buy-in and it was the most koo-koo-ki-do poker I've ever seen. You might as well play Keno or the lottery because the luckiest one left standing has all the chips at the end of the night. However if that limit seems to treat you well and your successful, more power to you and good luck.

Kevin
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im staying at excaliber and plan on playing there plus the MGM, baileys, IP, as well as 1 nite somewheres downtown. will be there for 4 nights...
...my secondary goal is to play alot of rooms and get the lay of the land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that's perfect for a 1st timer in Vegas. It is a $40 min/$200 max buy in game, so there's a little wiggle room (I don't like the $100 buys, many more all ins). While there are some short stacks at each table at MGM, still enough money usually to play with.

I just got back from the $1-2 at MGM and took $2,000 over 3 days. That does mean I did get some good hands and they held up, but I was also patient enough to allow those good hands to come over 30 hours of play.

I didn't try the $500 game, maybe next time. I'm curious on the play at that game.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:25 PM

so, you think all else being equal that 2/5 or 5/5 NL is a better way to go? i assume that is the $500 buy in?

that may be smart if i can avoid the coin tosses. im definitely concerned that a crazy luckfest $1/$2 is going to require me to take more 5:6s than i would like. ive had success by passing on coinflips and waiting on someone to offer or take bets in which im a much larger favorite.

thanks to all for the info.