Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: How do deal with this guy

At any point a player who is risking his money can leave the game. But "cashing down" during a game...we don't allow it if even a single person objects.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM

I don't see the point of not letting players buy chips off each oter, every card room I've played allows it. As far as this guy goes I wouldn't allow him to take money off the table but if he's a friend of your maybe explain that in a limit game all of his chips are never at risk in a hand. Last, it's a cash game, a player can cash out whenever he wants. I know it sucks to leave a game shorthanded but sometimes that's just the way it is. Plus, if he's a donator then I'd assume he doesn't get up 20-25 big bets too often, but rather gets down that much or more.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 06:08 PM

Location: Typing \"nice runner runner\" over and over and over and over and over and over

[ QUOTE ]
Well you're playing limit, so who cares about ratholing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-26-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At any point a player who is risking his money can leave the game. But "cashing down" during a game...we don't allow it if even a single person objects.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best way to deal with this fish. Tell him straight out, "OK, I'm fine with it... when you want to do it we'll put it to a vote. It's not a democracy, it's a f'in jury dude, if ONE person objects then it's a no-go, you gotta either stand up or leave it on the table."
Old 09-27-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best way to deal with this fish. Tell him straight out, "OK, I'm fine with it... when you want to do it we'll put it to a vote. It's not a democracy, it's a f'in jury dude, if ONE person objects then it's a no-go, you gotta either stand up or leave it on the table."

[/ QUOTE ]
Smoore - I'm almost always with you and this was my initial response too. Then I went back to the OP. Dropping 2 full buy-ins in a 1/2 home game playing standard 7 stud, Omaha, Texas & draw takes a lot of work. If the guy is truly that loose, then my inclination would be to allow him to rat-hole his buy-in. He'll be down way more often then he'll be up.

However if they are playing games with lots of wild cards, or Night Baseball, 727, between-the-sheets, then it is more about the GAMBOOOL and I wouldn't allow it. Cheapo will be sucking life out of the game.

We had a player who complained about this too. He's a good friend and it turned out that he was saving up to buy a house. The bride was giving him the frying pan when he came home $50 light. Because it's a friendly game, we offered to lower the stakes to .5/1. We also told him that maybe he should take a break from the game until after he bought his house. Eventually another guy bought him SS and told him to tighten up his game. He breaks even or is only down a little at the end of the night and everyone still has a good time.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:46 AM

Ratholing in a limit game isn't nearly as bad as in a NL game, but I still don't like it.

If the player is a winning player, it's not fair to the other players.

If the player is a losing player, he should simply avoid playing. If you allow him to rathole, that isn't going to prevent him from going broke. When he starts losing more money, where will you draw the line when he starts asking for more "favors"?

If you let this guy rathole, you are treating the symptom, not the actual problem. The problem being that this guy is a lousy player who can't play by the rules. There are enough bad players out there that are more than happy to play poker by the book.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ratholing in a limit game isn't nearly as bad as in a NL game, but I still don't like it.

If the player is a winning player, it's not fair to the other players.

If the player is a losing player, he should simply avoid playing. If you allow him to rathole, that isn't going to prevent him from going broke. When he starts losing more money, where will you draw the line when he starts asking for more "favors"?

If you let this guy rathole, you are treating the symptom, not the actual problem. The problem being that this guy is a lousy player who can't play by the rules. There are enough bad players out there that are more than happy to play poker by the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see this as a player who can't play by the rules. He wants to quit while he's ahead, lots of people like to do that. He didn't come to the table asking to rathole, he only brought that up that idea when people complained about him quitting while he's ahead. Not the same thing at all.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:32 AM

"Cheapo, after having lost big a couple of times lately ($100), now decides that when he is up 40 or 50 he quits. "

Someone who sets a stop-win limit but will drop twice as much when losing? Send him to my game if you don't want him.

Don't let him take cash off of the table, unless you make a rule about having 5x the original buy-in left on the table (or something). Then make sure everyone removes cash on the nights when he's stuck.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see this as a player who can't play by the rules. He wants to quit while he's ahead, lots of people like to do that. He didn't come to the table asking to rathole, he only brought that up that idea when people complained about him quitting while he's ahead. Not the same thing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I phrased my thoughts wrong. How about, "there are enough players who will play without trying to change the rules."
Old 09-28-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Cheapo, after having lost big a couple of times lately ($100), now decides that when he is up 40 or 50 he quits. "

Someone who sets a stop-win limit but will drop twice as much when losing? Send him to my game if you don't want him.

Don't let him take cash off of the table, unless you make a rule about having 5x the original buy-in left on the table (or something). Then make sure everyone removes cash on the nights when he's stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I like this idea