Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Pick my new hometown!

Flagstaff, AZ. 7000 ft. elevation, at the base of a good sized mountain with decent skiing (AZ Snowbowl, 30 min. from town). 2.5 hours from Phoenix, 4 hours from Vegas and 2.5 hours from Laughlin. It's close to Sedona, painted desert, grand canyon, Lake Powell, Zion National Park, etc so there are plenty of outdoor recreational activities available.

Flagstaff has a moderate climate with lots of snow in winter. and generally, if it's not raining or snowing, the sky is clear blue, a nice change from the days of overcast those in the midwest/east become used to.

It's also a college town so there's usually plenty to do.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:41 PM

sweet I will add it to the list of places to look at. I never thought of skiing in arizona!
Old 09-13-2005, 11:49 PM

Does Northern Arizona U a "college town" make?

That said, I've been through Flagstaff, and I like it.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Thats a good question and I guess it's a matter of perspective. While ASU is huge, Phoenix definately isn't a college town. NAU is much smaller but so is the surrounding town. I went to school at NAU, so it feels like a college town to me, though others have ample ground to argue otherwise.

All the same, I hadn't been there in 10 years and spent two days and a night there last week. It's a great town in beautiful surroundings and I want to move there; maybe someday I will.

In fairness to the OP, the economy is stable but not booming and largely based on tourism. I'd definately look into the job market before relocating.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Yea this economy is unfortunetly going to be one of the ibggest factors of the move. I am in the banking business so most places have banks its just wether they want to pay me what I want to make [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM

I eat at George O's when I go there...good food I guess

-Matt
Old 09-14-2005, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another downside is that you are really stuck in colorado without much else to do but mountains. If im not mistaken even from mammoth in cali it is only like a 4 or 5 hour drive to a beach and maybe even less than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, Colorado doesn't want your Texas ass.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 AM

Eastern burb's/outlying areas of Portland, OR. Right on the way to Mt. Hood, where you can ski/snowboard year round.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:21 AM

Easy, southern California.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:50 AM

You could try Girdwood or Eagle River, Alaska. The resort you would attend would be alyeska, with one of the best double diamond (and possibly longest) runs in th US. Also great groomer skiing/snowbaording, if you like that. Not much jibbing though. It is consitently rated in the top 25 resorts in the country. The town it is in is gridwood, whcih is a total hippy ski town (with everthing that goes with it), but everyone has a good attitude. Has about 2k people. It is small, but is about 30-40 minutes from anchorage with is a good small-mid sized (300k people) city. Eagle river is a on the other side of Anchorage, and has about 30k, and is a better place to raise a family etc. Alyeska is about 70-80 minutes drive and anchorage is about 15-30, depending on where you live. It is half on the chugach, one of the best heli-skiing ranges in the world. There are nice mountainside houses with phenomanal views, still pretty much in town for very cheap.