Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-12-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Flopping top set agianst draws

Sounds like you were OOP in this hand. If the conditions are right, consider check-call the flop, then check-raise the turn. Or just check-raise the flop.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:58 PM

Unless it's a heavily PF raised pot or stacks are shallow, I don't like check-raising the flop from EP with a bare top set. Too often I either take down just a small pot or else things get uncomfortable on a straightening/flushing turn.

But if I get multiple callers behind after betting the flop in EP, I find that checking a blank turn to the right foes can be the best way to get my stack in.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:25 PM

With this sort of action flop, betting out does not protect your hand as draws will have the correct odds to call. But check-raising does. If you are looking to maximize EV, then I think check-call is the correct play as you will keep hands like middle/bottom set in and stack him off when the turn blanks or pairs.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM

I don't mind the check-call flop / check-raise turn line and will occasionally use it with good but vulnerable hands. Personally I lean towards betting the flop in this situation since it's consistent with what I do with a variety of flops. Similarly, I don't like check-raising the flop with deeeeep stacks here unless you check-raise a lot of flops, in which case you rock.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:40 PM

Pot this every time. Even assuming you are up against a flush draw and a straight draw, that is the worst possible scenario and you still come out ahead in the long run. Now factor in that one of them might fold to such a massive bet, and that one of them could simply be an idiot with a gutshot or a top two pair, and you crush this in the long run.

Just don't pay off your whole stack when they connect on the river. OOP a blocking bet of some sort is probably the best way to go if its a straight "scare" card, if its a flush, forget it, one of them has it.

-Matt
Old 09-13-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot this every time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2005, 11:32 AM

When you flop top set in Omaha, you have a couple of options. If you flopped the nuts, and there was heavy preflop action, try and get as much as possible in on the flop. I actually hate having to do this, because with two cards to come a wrap and a flush draw will come after you. Ideally, if there wasn't a ton of preflop action, you can make a moderate sized bet on the flop, and then if the turn comes safe, bet the pot. Players are less likely to chase with one card to come and dimished pot odds.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 AM

A lot of it has to do with what cards make up the flop that provides that flush and wrap draw.

For instance, if you have JJxx, and the flop is JhTh6x, then you are really screwed against multiple opponents because on top of any hearts, there are 18 other cards that make straights (A,K,Q,9,8,7).

This is unlike when the flop is KhQh3x and you have KKxx. Here, on top of hearts, only 9 other cards make straights.

-Matt