Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 12:05 AM

Default When does it sink in?

I just sat down to start my nightly session. Not being in a groove yet and goofing around with trying to get another table going, I made the biggest error in poker.

I completely botched almost every street, but the "folding-on-the-end-for-one-bet" error makes me want to quit for the night. I am posting this because a) public ridicule may be best for me right now, and b) if there is anyone out there who still wonders whether this rule needs to be followed or not, let my moronic play be an example.

Let the "Dude, you shouldn't be playing poker" comments commence...........

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (14.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 16.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Qs Kh (three of a kind, queens).
CO has 3s 3d (two pair, queens and threes).
Outcome: MP1 wins 16.75 BB. </font>

Sadly,

Onaflag.............
Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: When does it sink in?

I don't hate the river fold.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-26-2005, 12:29 AM

I dislike the preflop coldcall (3-bet it, man!) much more than the river fold. I'm not sure you win 1 in 16 times after a bet &amp; a caller on this board.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:30 AM

Clicking the raise button a lot is also good this hand.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-26-2005, 12:33 AM

just currious what is the range of hands you 3 bet here Harv? is letting this hand go multiway a bad idea by calling
Old 04-26-2005, 12:34 AM

by the way i did notice that it does go multiway anyhow
Old 04-26-2005, 12:43 AM

I like to threebet with PPs from 88-aa there and AKo, AKS, AQs. I'll threebet an opponent with AJs or KQs depending on my read of the opponent
Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clicking the raise button a lot is also good this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just currious what is the range of hands you 3 bet here Harv? is letting this hand go multiway a bad idea by calling

[/ QUOTE ]

With position, and especially with the PFR being directly to my right, I'll 3-bet AQs every time. It's relatively rare that you are dominated by AA/AK; more often you'll be up against another AQ/AJ, or a PP KK-TT. But in any of those situations, it becomes much easier to play your hand postflop if you can get it heads up, or at least buy the button. 3-betting also gives you better postflop folding equity against another AQ or even a slightly better hand, since most players wouldn't even dream of 3-betting that hand.

If I were out of position (in the blinds) I would just call. I might also cold call if I'm already on the button.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:09 AM

I don't hate the river fold exactly, but you're closing the action so I don't dislike calling 1 more either. I really dislike the flop call. You've got the nuts trips, any other trips is going to pay a lot of mula, and not only do people make shitty loose calls on the flop, but any flush draw is going to just pad your wallet.