Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Another downswing post. Advice please.

For the past 4 weeks ive been playing PL 0.50/1 . 6 seats

This week ive been the victim of some terrible cards and am down £300. Previous 3 weeks profit £400 £160 £240.

This is mainly down to some crushing rivers, all in with the best of it on the turn and, you know how it ends up...

Other 3 weeks I was hitting some decent cards although there wasnt many times when I was pulling rivers for the win.

Previous to my 4 week PL games I was strictly a STT and MTT player with great success in both but moved over to PL believing I could make more from it and have so far proved to be the case.

Ive experienced down swings with STTs too but it always rocks my confidence a lot, especially this week when im not just entering another £10 £20 tourney but am reloading another £100 each time.

I play poker 4 - 5 days a week and work on the weekends. Poker is not a career and it never will be, I just want to make a half decent wage each month to support my career moves. Although I have acheived that goal this month (around £500) I have cancelled out a weeks work with this weeks work.

Anyone out there with non tourney experience, should I expect a terrible week every 3 weeks average? What do you do to calm down?

My bank roll is £1000. Is this enough to sustain longterm dangers? Should I just play STTS?

Apoligies if this post seems slightly unedited.

helpful replies greatly appreciated
Old 02-10-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Another downswing post. Advice please.

sigh...
Old 02-10-2005, 02:47 PM

Yes, you should expect some losing weeks. We all do.

Take a few days off and start again.

After you have been at this a while (I have played off and on for 25 years) it will not phase you as much.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:03 PM

Piz0wn0reD i appreciate your situation seems a lot worse than mine atm, but we each have a story to tell.

I think my main question is - Is losing £300 in one week too much? Should I cut my loses at any point?
If im only looking to make around £500 each month should I be playing £100 buy ins?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my main question is - Is losing £300 in one week too much? Should I cut my loses at any point?
If im only looking to make around £500 each month should I be playing £100 buy ins?

[/ QUOTE ]

The answer is: it depends.

My suggestion to you is to keep playing, keep reading/posting, read books, talk w/ fellow poker players (ones that are good lol), and most importantly KEEP PLAYING. Once you have a lot of hands in, you can beter determine what is a "usual" swing.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:43 PM

You should probably be playing 30 SNG's. It is too easy to run bad and finish out of the money in 9 out of 10. That would leave you almost busted with only a 1K bankroll.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should probably be playing 30 SNG's. It is too easy to run bad and finish out of the money in 9 out of 10. That would leave you almost busted with only a 1K bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

i lost 10/10 $100+9 SNG's in one day. That sucked. Tourneys have a large varience. ESP ones that have quickly increasing blinds reletive to the starting stacks.