Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 01-28-2005, 07:44 AM

Default river decision

I have a maniac table image. The river way-overbet is supposed to look like a bluff, but now that I'm looking at it again, I think it looks a lot more like a flush (from his point of view). Comments appreciated.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) converter

CO ($149.65)
Button ($256.40)
SB ($292.95)
Hero ($194)
UTG ($269.40)
MP1 ($90.95)
MP2 ($196)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $6</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($13) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

Turn: ($25) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

River: ($25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $257.4</font>,
Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Default Re: river decision

Yeah, it does look like a flush, but maybe that's what you want, because you have a maniac-image your opponent will think you don't have what you represent.

I agree, this is tricky. I don't know the play on those tables, but with a raise UTG and that riverplay you could put him on AA/KK or AK of Hearts.

AA/KK would explain the riverplay, he don't want to let go [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

AK of Hearts (or AQ or som') would also be likely. But off course you cant exclude other hands with suited face-cards, since some idiots will raise with whatever from whatever po.

To be honest i would've called this one, but from an observer point of view the right thing to do is folding. The proof against AA/KK is that he likely re-raise on the flop, since he doesn't wanna give away cheap cards there.

What did you do?
Old 01-28-2005, 08:35 AM

I felt the same way about the hand. I felt that the right thing to do was to fold, but I just couldn't do it because of the maniac image psychology stuff. I called and he flipped up AQ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 01-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Of hearts?
Old 01-28-2005, 10:16 AM

Yeah.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:32 AM

I know this is probably hindsight bias... but his way of playing it made it look like he had hearts too.