Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 01-14-2005, 04:17 AM

Default value bet this river?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

River: (10 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10 BB
Old 01-14-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Re: value bet this river?

nm thats grossly bad
Old 01-14-2005, 05:12 AM

Well, personally i think this is a very non-useful HH, since it's an unraised pot you have nothing to gain but a few dollar. I think i would've checked as you, but i see two ways to maybe squeeze something out of this.

1) Lay a very small bet, and hope that someone with middlepair thinks his hand is good.

2) Try to overbet the pot to make it look like you making a beginner-steal, and maybe someone with pocket pair, or middle board pair will call. Maybe he thinks you have ace high or so.

But theese situations ain't nothing to "hang in the tree" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you raise every pot you will be in you will gain on it in the long run, since then you have something to fight for in every pot. If you just call and don't hit, off course you don't loose much money, but you won't gain much either. And the beauty of this is that, if you are the raiser, you will very often be able to lay a pot bet (or so) on the flop and your opponent/s will fold, even though you didnt hit on the flop.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, personally i think this is a very non-useful HH, since it's an unraised pot you have nothing to gain but a few dollar. I think i would've checked as you, but i see two ways to maybe squeeze something out of this.

1) Lay a very small bet, and hope that someone with middlepair thinks his hand is good.

2) Try to overbet the pot to make it look like you making a beginner-steal, and maybe someone with pocket pair, or middle board pair will call. Maybe he thinks you have ace high or so.

But theese situations ain't nothing to "hang in the tree" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If you raise every pot you will be in you will gain on it in the long run, since then you have something to fight for in every pot. If you just call and don't hit, off course you don't loose much money, but you won't gain much either. And the beauty of this is that, if you are the raiser, you will very often be able to lay a pot bet (or so) on the flop and your opponent/s will fold, even though you didnt hit on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 1/2 limit so he doesn't have these options [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I would value bet here, however you probably should have cut off the river action after your check, as once it gets checked through it's obvious no-one had 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 AM

I like sitting at the 3/6 live and splashing 100 white into the pot subtly saying "All in"
Old 01-14-2005, 05:24 AM

Oh my god, im really snowed in NL [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] SOrry
Old 01-14-2005, 06:18 AM

Hi Thorin

Can you please explain the beginner steal?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:15 AM

Every time.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:16 AM

Well, many beginners seem to make their potsteals obvious by overbetting the pot that isn't logical to their preflop-, postflop- and turnplay. Im not saying i'm not a beginner, but i think this is a play many beginners seem to be doing.

Sometimes it's good, but good players will often see through this.

Im not sure you wondered sincerely or if you thought i was wrong [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But now you know how i thought ^__^
Old 01-14-2005, 08:10 AM

Sincerely... Im still a beginner myself.

But I like your thinking - just like a poker player....