Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Not a single hand won what to do?

I'm stumped on what to do when luck is completely against you, is there anything that can counter this in low limit SNG's, I played 2 $10 SNG's on Ultimatebet, folded almost every single hand until blinds were 100-200 at which point i had about 650 or so left, I raised with KQ, hit nothing on the flop folded to a aggressive bet. At that point the blind wiped me out from there, not a single hand won, only a few hands played, when this happens should i loosen up and see more flops, or should i just hope for a better tournament next time?
Old 03-09-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Not a single hand won what to do?

When you can't hit win a hand you are going to lose pure and simple. This is especially true at low buy in games where you have to show down most hands. That being said, when you were down to 650 chips you need to go all in or fold. Minimum raising with KQ was a mistake. If you felt it was the right time, you should have pushed in.

Regards
Old 03-09-2004, 04:12 PM

This is why you can be glad you're playing tourneys...think of how much money you saved by playing in a tourney rather than a ring game.

Also, I agree with the previous poster that when you are shortstacked and the blinds are high, you really have to try to steal the antes with your legit hands preflop.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:31 PM

you can't sit idly in tourneys, you have to take advantage of possible steal oppurtunities. Use your table image to your advantage as well. You can't simply wait for group 1 hands in a tourney and expect to win. You will blind out if you do this. This doesn't mean play marginal hands like you would strong hands, you have to be a LITTLE looser in tourneys.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't sit idly in tourneys, you have to take advantage of possible steal oppurtunities. Use your table image to your advantage as well. You can't simply wait for group 1 hands in a tourney and expect to win. You will blind out if you do this. This doesn't mean play marginal hands like you would strong hands, you have to be a LITTLE looser in tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree somewhat...I definitely think you can afford to play ultra tight early on as the maniacs(partiulcarly at that level) eliminate themselves. However, once the blinds are up to 50/100 or 100/200, you have to look at steal opportunities.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:25 AM

Based on my very limited experience (28 10+1 PP SNGs) - playing tight early is OK - but I've learned that when I play really tight early, and you make a raise, the other players respect it more, especially if you win one hand early, so that is where you can be a little more aggressive.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:16 AM

Default They play their hand

[ QUOTE ]
Based on my very limited experience (28 10+1 PP SNGs) - playing tight early is OK - but I've learned that when I play really tight early, and you make a raise, the other players respect it more

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. People don't notice that the reason you're at 705 chips is because you've only payed to see a flop in your BB and haven't voluntarily entered a pot yet in 2.5 orbits.

In these situations I'll raise more than the standard 3x BB and STILL get 3-5 callers. The reason why is simple - they play their hand not your hand.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: They play their hand

Well, I did say that my experience is limited. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm really trying to figure out how not to get shortstacked so often using the PP SNG 10+1 Strategy. I'm still working on that.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: They play their hand

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I did say that my experience is limited. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm really trying to figure out how not to get shortstacked so often using the PP SNG 10+1 Strategy. I'm still working on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

you will get short stacked if you dont get the cards. it's that simple. play tight. if you call with medium pocket pair or an ak, and nothing helps on the flop, then fold if someone bets. remember, you're suppose to play tight in the early rounds. dont be a calling station.

at the later rounds, you have to push if you are short stacked and pray the coin toss lands in your favor.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:38 AM

Not a single hand? What does that mean? You get dealt 2 cards every time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Sometimes you are going to have tourneys that are just crappy. You have to suck it out a bit. All you can do is play the hands you are dealt correctly. However, there are a few risky tricks you can do to pick up chips. I sometimes like pushing from the blinds when there are a lot of limpers.

But with regards to your KQ hand, LaBrujita is right. You can't raise and fold here--must push.