Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Strange situation here..... thoughts appreciated

This was a $15/1 turbo SNG on stars. The BB had been absent for a long time and I was positive he wasn't coming back.

Now. I KNOW I'm going to get called here, but I try to play to win these things, not just money in them. Would anyone advocate folding here and just sneaking into the money. I have absolute confidence that I can outplay big stack, I just need some chips to get into position to take first. Three more orbits, and he's gone, but, at the same time, I'll be down to less than 500 chips at that point.

Or... would you simply fold here and take the guaranteed $27?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) converter

UTG (t1345)
Gomez22 (t1213)
SB (t10127)
BB (t815)

Preflop: Gomez22 is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Gomez22 raises to t1213</font>, SB calls t1113, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t2626) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2626) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2626) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2626

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Gomez22 has Ah Th (high card, ace).
SB has Kd Qs (one pair, kings).
Outcome: SB wins t2626. </font>
Old 07-24-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Strange situation here..... thoughts appreciated

I do not see the "guaranteed" ITM that you mention. Your stack is not big enough to guarantee that. Standard push in my opinion.

--
tjh
Old 07-24-2005, 03:18 AM

We are 4-handed, BB has a stack of 815, and has been absent from the table since the 15/30 level.... I think I can guarantee that I will money in that situation.....
Old 07-24-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We are 4-handed, BB has a stack of 815, and has been absent from the table since the 15/30 level.... I think I can guarantee that I will money in that situation.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, you didn't mention that. That makes things more interesting. I'd like to know what others think is a standard push range here. I'd guess AA-KK?
Old 07-24-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, you didn't mention that. That makes things more interesting. I'd like to know what others think is a standard push range here. I'd guess AA-KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

From original post:

[ QUOTE ]
The BB had been absent for a long time and I was positive he wasn't coming back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2005, 03:19 AM

Really easy push.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:30 AM

in the chat, gomez mentioned that the sb's calling standards are 23+. i think this probably changes this to a fold, or at the least makes it a non-easy push.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Default More notes for informational purposes

OK.... SB in this game had really lucked into chip lead, calling off 3/4 of her ~2K stack at 50/100 with 75o from SB against PF all-in to hit 2-pr and crush JJ. Also had hit a 3-outer with KTo against AK (another PF all-in call against a bigger stack) to double to ~8K when we got it to 4-handed.

SB had been pushing EVERY hand PF for maybe 6-8 hands prior to this, even once after UTG in the hand mentioned had limped (I don't know why anyone would limp, but that's what happened).

This is the reason I state that I am positive I am getting called... I give SB a hand range of 32o-AA, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

I KNOW folding is a +EV play here, there is no question about that, and if BB had been i nthe game, I STILL would have pushed, but him being out of it really made for a strange situation here.

As I told Waffle in chat, I don't regret the push so much as the situation, if that makes any sense.....
Old 07-24-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: More notes for informational purposes

[ QUOTE ]
SB had been pushing EVERY hand PF for maybe 6-8 hands prior to this, even once after UTG in the hand mentioned had limped (I don't know why anyone would limp, but that's what happened).

This is the reason I state that I am positive I am getting called... I give SB a hand range of 32o-AA, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big difference between bigstack pushing and calling a push. Your reasoning doesn't make sense. Pushing any two is hardly the same as calling any two.

BTW, I'm pushing your hand every time. What if the disconnected player comes back? You'd be wishing you pushed here.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Re: More notes for informational purposes

[ QUOTE ]
calling off 3/4 of her ~2K stack at 50/100 with 75o from SB against PF all-in to hit 2-pr and crush JJ. Also had hit a 3-outer with KTo against AK (another PF all-in call against a bigger stack) to double to ~8K when we got it to 4-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I think I will get called with any two.... that and her having a 10-1 chip lead over me. I reasoned that if she was willing to call and all-in w/75o and put her whole stack up 4-handed when 2nd in chips with KTo, any 2 was good enough.......