Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Why will you never go pro?

I was getting a bit board of all the "I wanna go pro, should I, shouldn't I" type posts this boards seems to attract like flies to brown stuff. So I decided to speak up for the little guy. That's right, those of us who play poker and not only still work for the man, but are quite happy to do so.

Why will I never go pro? My reasons:

1. My job. Pays well. I enjoy it. Good pension. Decent holidays. My career prospects are good.

2. There is a distict possibility I'm not good enough. I'm pretty sure I'm beating the low limits (up to 2/4), but to better my current and future career earnings I'd have to be a consistent 30/60-and-above winner.

3. I enjoy poker. If it were my job I'm not sure how long this would continue.

4. The prospect of sitting in a room on my own all day, in front of a computer, makes my blood run cold. I'd have cabin fever by day two. I'm not the world's greatest socialite, but call me old fashioned, I like a bit of human company for the banter and such.

5. I have a young family. Even though I'm not the prime breadwinner, I'm not willing to trade income certainty for income uncertainty.

This doesn't mean I don't have poker aspirations. I want to move up stakes - all in good bankrolled time - to the highest level at which I can profitably play (I've only been playing regular for < 1 year). I want to master, or at least become proficient in, games other than LHE (NLHE, Stud, Stud/8, PLO, SNGs - all of which I've started dabbling in). And if I end up making a healthy surplus at the end of the year I'll happily cream some of it off for treats and poker related indulgences like books, chips etc. - supplimented income is great, just so long as I don't become reliant on it.

OK that's pretty much my rant. So in a vain attempt to make this post worthwhile I'd like to pose the following questions to my fellow never-go-pro-ers (there must be some of you out there).

Why will you never go pro?
What are your poker aspirations?
And to satiate my curiosity, what levels do you currently play?

Your friendly never-go-pro-er,
RH
Old 07-18-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Why will you never go pro?

[ QUOTE ]
but to better my current and future career earnings I'd have to be a consistent 30/60-and-above winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

What job do you do that pays better than a 30/60 pro can make?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:30 PM

I won't because it would be boring as hell. And, while poker can be challenging, it's not challenging in many different ways.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:33 PM

I want to have an M.D. after my name.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 PM

After expenses, what do you think a 30/60 pro makes?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:45 PM

60,000 hands month @ 1BB/100 = $36,000 a month. So $432,000 a year. Minus internet connection costs, electricity, PC, etc... wouldn't add up to much.

Edit: Forgot to include rakeback, so time $432,000 by 1.25 or whatever it is. $540,000.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but to better my current and future career earnings I'd have to be a consistent 30/60-and-above winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

What job do you do that pays better than a 30/60 pro can make?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did the pissing contest thing of comparing 30/60 pro's on-paper EV versus my current post tax income, I'm sure I'd lose. But I get good benefits and have good career prospects (i.e. can expect better future earnings), the pro has to sort out his own pensions arrangements, healthcare etc. I have a much easier time getting a mortgage than the pro does; so pro probably rents, which is more cash out, else if he wants to buy an equivalent house to me he has to earn MUCH more...

RH
Old 07-18-2005, 08:54 PM

It's not a pissing contest, you said you would have to play 30/60 to make more than you can potentially make in your current career, so I ask what you work as.

And buying a house isn't the be-all-and-end-all, you know. I can make a pretty good argument for renting your whole life and investing the money you save, and coming out ahead financially over the home buyer.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
60,000 hands month @ 1BB/100 = $36,000 a month. So $432,000 a year. Minus internet connection costs, electricity, PC, etc... wouldn't add up to much.

Edit: Forgot to include rakeback, so time $432,000 by 1.25 or whatever it is. $540,000.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you overestimate significantly. If I played 30/60 as a pro (assuming I were good enough) there is no way I could do 60k hands a month. Every month. Every year. Maintaining a 1BB/100 expectation. I suspect there are VERY few who can.

RH
Old 07-18-2005, 08:56 PM

Looks good on paper. Now find the 30/60 pro who actually meets this 100%, 100% of the time.

Then find out who is giving him 50% match on his 401k, and pays 80% of his medical insurance costs, and pays him his full winnings a couple of weeks a year when he goes on vacation and doesn't play.
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]