Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 12:11 PM

Default How bad is this play by villain?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Villain is MP3. Play is raising the turn...

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls.

River: (15 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls $4 (All-In), CO calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ac 3s (one pair, threes).
MP3 has 4h As (straight, five high).
CO has 8s 8c (one pair, eights).
Hero has 5h 5d (three of a kind, fives).
Outcome: MP3 wins 21 BB. </font>
Old 03-11-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Re: How bad is this play by villain?

Since nobody else commented, here you go.

<font color="blue"> BAD BEAT DETECTED! </font>

It was a bad play by MP3 but he got lucky and sucked out on you. What was the merit in posting this hand sir? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

(where's the guy who used to go round routinely detecting this stuff?!)
Old 03-11-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since nobody else commented, here you go.

<font color="blue"> BAD BEAT DETECTED! </font>

It was a bad play by MP3 but he got lucky and sucked out on you. What was the merit in posting this hand sir? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

(where's the guy who used to go round routinely detecting this stuff?!)

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your busting me, but I was actually somewhat serious when I asked the question. Perhaps I was having a half-brained moment. The only thing I can say in my defense is that my reply to post ratio is around 50.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM

I would say that his play was just as bad as yours was(I am refering to you 3 betting preflop with 55)

You got lucky and hit your set. Bad Bad preflop call.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:27 PM

I mean, it's bad, but it does have some merrit.

If I somehow got in a 3-bet preflop pot with A4o, and I felt you had a hand like AK/AQ, the checkraise may win me the pot right there. But, for the most part, at 2/4 someone is there to look you up.

Also, what happened to UTG, and why did you 3-bet preflop?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what happened to UTG, and why did you 3-bet preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG's preflop raise was all-in, which is why I 3-bet...aside from that I knew a 5 was coming on the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 01:51 PM

Actually, it wasn't that bad a beat... Just poker...

In fact, if anything you allowed him to have the odds to stay by three betting the flop. With 11 bets in the pot he is getting more than the right odds (esepcially when you consider implied odds) to call with an inside straight and backdoor nut flush draw. Fortunately for him, the turn card gave him an openended straight shot (either a 2 or a 6 made a straight) and so that made it more than legitimate to call with 7 bets in the pot (again especially if you consider implied odds). I don't like the raise from the MP guy because he is on a draw and it he has to bluff through two players to win. The right move is probably to just call and then be in a position to make some money if the straght draw hits... (on the other hand if a flush card comes he could be hoping that he can represent the flush... but I think that is a bad idea considering the way the hand i splaying I would put people on those kinds of draws) he definately wasn't getting the odds to raise like that.

You also shouldn't have 3 bet the flop with 55 or raised the end when the 2 hit. The raise at the end is only giong to get you re-raised when you are behind and will have people without good hands folding so you won't get enough value out of it for the risk you are taking. The 2 made both a flush and a straight which shrinks up your set considerably. This is certainly an unfortunate outcome for you, but not exactly a bad beat. The other player did make some mistakes by being too aggressive, but not by staying in the hand.

ALSO, your hand converter has me confused how do you have 9 bets in the pot on the flop when you had one raiser adding 2 bets and then seeming to disappear (UTG+1) in addition to three people putting 3 bets in the pot... that is 11 small bets... unless stars takes out 2 small bets which seems like a lot. Errors then go through hand regarding pot size... at least I can't make sense of it!

-k_squared
Old 03-11-2005, 02:23 PM

If you never raise the turn with a draw, you aren't raising the turn enough. This doesn't look like a good spot for it though.

ZZZ
Old 03-11-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 11 bets in the pot he is getting more than the right odds (esepcially when you consider implied odds) to call with an inside straight and backdoor nut flush draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but not to continuously bet into and raise hero. There are no two ways about it, villian played the hand horribly and just got incredibly lucky.

P.S. not betting the river would be a crime.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:26 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

How great was that preflop 3 bet? Don't want to talk about that? ok.

I can see more tactical reasons for the MP3's turn raise. Which should be noticeable whether he was actually thinking that far or not.

He turned a double gutter with an A overcard. He could represent a big hand while trying to get the CO or any bigger A out.

I agree with the badbeat detector.

b