Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Why will you never go pro?

[ QUOTE ]

4. i'm just not good enough to be a great poker success. but if i were, i'm almost certainly smart and talented enough to contribute something much more meaningful and/or bigger and/or more profitable than to play cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fellow civil servant?
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4. The prospect of sitting in a room on my own all day, in front of a computer, makes my blood run cold.

The prospect of sitting in a room with the same group of people all day, every day, makes my blood run cold. Which is why generating cash flow from my computer is a wet dream for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the group of people in question are all highly intelligent and socially sharp, you have insight into and influence on the upper echelons of political power, and you and said group make life for millions of people in your country a little better every day? Each to their own I suppose.

RH

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...I was describing my own personal antisocial tendencies, not proscribing a general program for the masses.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
4. The prospect of sitting in a room on my own all day, in front of a computer, makes my blood run cold.

The prospect of sitting in a room with the same group of people all day, every day, makes my blood run cold. Which is why generating cash flow from my computer is a wet dream for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if the group of people in question are all highly intelligent and socially sharp, you have insight into and influence on the upper echelons of political power, and you and said group make life for millions of people in your country a little better every day? Each to their own I suppose.

RH

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...I was describing my own personal antisocial tendencies, not proscribing a general program for the masses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair play.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

4. i'm just not good enough to be a great poker success. but if i were, i'm almost certainly smart and talented enough to contribute something much more meaningful and/or bigger and/or more profitable than to play cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

A fellow civil servant?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me? no, i'm just another patsy for the Corporate 'Man. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
fwiw, i can see where the prospect of someone spending 20+ years in my type of Office Space-esque environment might drive enough desperation to do something else, but for me it would have to be something i'm more passionate about than poker.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:22 PM

I like having some extra money to spend I could probably make the same amount of money playing poker as I do at my job but in about 3 months I will have saved enough to buy that classic corvette i always wanted. with my wife and kid that would not have been possible
Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 PM

I earn over half of my income from poker, and if I went full time, I could easily eclipse my 'regular' jobs income.

However, having a main income, and allowing poker to help supplement it keeps the pressure off my game. And I find I play much better, without the pressure of HAVING to get results each and every month...
Old 07-19-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
60k hands a month is a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain
Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

$400-500K before taxes, retirement savings, medical plan, pension, dental plan, vacation, etc etc wouldn't be a 'rich lifestyle'. Upper middle class, sure, but a lot of those things are going to cost a lot more because you are on your own instead as part of an employer group.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually this would make you very much upper class. people really tend to underestimate what it takes to put you in the top 10% of wage earners in the US (let alone world wide)
Old 07-19-2005, 09:50 PM

0. I suck at poker.

1. I love my job. It is a challenging and important job, and while it doesn't pay as much as it should, it does pay enough for my current lifestyle. It has also earned me a degree of respect in the community.

2. I get good health and retirement benefits, opportunities for continuing education, and my summers off.

3. My family is growing, with two girls now and two more due in Sept.

4. My wife is supportive of my hobbies, so poker remains fun and potentially profitable.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM

Nice to see so many people who actually enjoy their jobs. Gives me some hope if I ever decide/have to go back to the 'regular' work world.

Lot of people have stated that they can't make as much via poker.
FWIW - Lots of people don't seem to realize that multi-tabling at 3/6 it's realistic to make $1k/week and multi-tabling 5/10 it's realistic to push $2k/week.
Yes yes....there's the whole bit about health-plans and what-not. And obviously some of the people responding are making more than $100k/yr too.

Just pointing out that it does NOT have to mean that you need to be some spectacular 30/60 player in order to turn pro.

I've been pro for a little over a year and play primarily 3/6 - 5/10.
I never played higher than 3/6 for my first 5-6 mths or so as a pro.