Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2005, 05:36 PM

Default 44 raises limpers from the Button

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $5. CO posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Two posters and a bunch of limpers - 44 is good to raise [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Flop: (16 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls.

The only problem here is that with te preflop raise - everyone puts hero on the ace. AK, AQ, AJ. Everyone is calling the flop bet.

Turn: (10.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, UTG folds, MP2 calls.

I could have raised the turn but wanted the overcalls and thought I would get some extra bets on the river. Good smooth call with everyone on dead draws?

River: (14.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, MP2 folds, CO calls.

No one even had an Ace to pay me off [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

Comments....
Old 03-28-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 44 raises limpers from the Button

Raise the turn.

-d
Old 03-28-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Why let some weak 3 or 5 suckout on you without paying max price? And make anyone with an Ace pay dearly to show it down.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:21 PM

I'd raise the turn. The rest is fine.
Old 03-28-2005, 06:42 PM

Raising the turn gets me heads up with the CO turn bettor - who might even fold here to a turn raise. Raising gets me 2 BB when and if CO calls both the flop raise and a river bet. A raise here almost ensure the other two players involved in the hand fold. Raising = 1-3 BB against 1 player with 0-4 outs at best. I only get 1 BB if everyone including cutoff fold here.

Calling the turn gets me 3 BB on the turn and whatever I can pick up on the river - here 1 BB extra. I expected the other two to call the turn bet. The best hands have 4 outs against me and the field has 10 outs at best against me. A higher pair (88, 99) has two outs and would incorrectly call the turn bet but not a raise. Why not call the turn? A J or Q on the river would certainly get me an extra bet or two on top of that on the river. Someone could two pair their AX or make trip A's. Calling = 4-6 BB (possibly more) agaisnt 3 players with 5-6 outs?

Why is raising the turn better?

My estimation of outs are guesses. An Ax. has no outs. A higher pair than 4's has 2 outs. Anyone with a 3 or 5 has 4 outs to a straight. The best possible hand we could be up against has 4 outs. [EDIT: a 56 hands would have 8 outs].
Old 03-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the turn gets me heads up with the CO turn bettor

[/ QUOTE ]

It does?

Rob
Old 03-28-2005, 06:51 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't like that preflop raise?
Old 03-28-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 3 limpers and 2 posters, I like it a lot.

Rob
Old 03-28-2005, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With 3 limpers and 2 posters, I like it a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, but it's so infrequently right to raise a small pair like this -- the posters and big field make this a special case.

-d
Old 03-28-2005, 07:05 PM

I think the reason everyone is telling you to raise the turn is because you don't want to give the field with their 10 outs or whatever the chance to hit it. The pot is already large, so focus on winning it, not sqeezing out extra bets.