Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Gotta love this play

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($72.65)
Hero ($76.65)
UTG (Dummy) ($79)
MP ($203.35)
CO ($110.6)
Button ($301.15)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG (Dummy) calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($6) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Dummy bets $5</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($16) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Dummy checks.

River: ($16) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $55</font>, Dummy folds.

Final Pot: $71

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jc 4d (four of a kind, twos).
Outcome: Hero wins $71. </font>

The whole table got a laugh at this fold with the nuts on the board. The guy still didn't get it and went on to say how he was ahead of me on the flop and I drew out on him. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Gotta love this play

Why'd you call the flop?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:37 PM

Yeah, I knew that was coming too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ... He didn't raise preflop so I didn't put him on a pair. I thought he had an A and was going to bet at any non Ace or if I hit my cards. Probably not the smartest play, but not the point of my post either.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:43 PM

If he were any good you'd be getting pwned by the rake.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:51 PM

Obviously against a competent villain, the play is to check. But clearly Hero made the right play, since it won him the pot. I saw a post like this earlier, except the fold was almost correct because the rake was nearly equal to the one-third split that the fellow would have gotten. This is obviously a different circumstance.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:56 PM

Yeah, that extra 75 cents would have just destroyed my bankroll... I guess I can make this play unsuccessfully only another 10 times before I hit the break even on that extra rake now. Whew! With Party, this bet probably works at least that much. Thanks for the comment.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:03 PM

Yeah it's 75 cents, whatever. Might as well go all in.

Though I think the irony of the hand is that calling a $5 bet with J4 and a total miss on the flop is going to lose you alot more in the long run than that fellow failing to realize the nuts is on the board every time it happens.

Unless you completely read the guy to be horrible (and even this might not be justification enough), why would you call a pot-sized bet out of position with six outs, three of which might not even win the hand?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:54 PM

The fold could have been a mislick.

You called the flop on purpose.

pot... kettle... you get the picture
Old 02-22-2005, 03:24 PM

In this case, the guy was an idiot. But it makes me think of another situation.

When the board has a made flush/straight/fullhouse... More then likely, its going to be a split. You or someone makes a bet... those are situations where even a good player might lay down.

I've seen people do this with Ace high straights on the board (and no flush possibilities). They go all in, forcing everyone to call. In the end, everyone loses more money on the hand because the donkey made a senseless bet. Unless there's some psychological advantage to having everyone be irritated at them, I can't figure out the value in this. (I think the original poster's success is the exception.)