Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2005, 11:51 AM

Default 5-5 hand quiz

wasn't involved in this hand. 5-5 blinds, there are a lot of straddles and EP (~2000) makes it 50 straight. very tough player (>2k) who restraddled calls, rerestraddler calls as well.

flop is 8 8 K. check, check, raiser bets 100, tough player (TP) calls, other guy folds.

heads up. turn is some rag, like a 4. TP checks, raiser bets 300, TP calls.

river is an A. TP bets 500. raiser calls. what does each one have? did raiser play his hand well? what about TP?

edit: didn't mean to imply they had the same hand. they didn't.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: 5-5 hand quiz

TP has AK, raiser has AA. On the flop, TP calls with his kings...then on the turn when the raiser makes the 300 bet the TP realizes that KK and AA are very possible, so he just calls. then on the river, the A probably makes him happy, for a few seconds seeing as he has top 2, but then the raiser bets 500 which pretty much means he is in no way afraid of a measly 2 pair.

also, i just thought that TP could have KK and raiser could have AA, and TP put him on AA and decided to trap by check raising the river or even pulling the stop and go, but the A got their making it boat over boat.

TP won
Old 02-18-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but then the raiser bets 500 which

[/ QUOTE ]

Raiser didn't bet the $500. TP check-called til the river, and then bet $500.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:54 PM

I'll take a stab

TP - 8x
Raiser - AK
Old 02-18-2005, 01:16 PM

insufficient information. however, tough player most likely had AK and thought EP was too weak to call a raise. there are circumstances under which he may have KQ or even KJ. anything else he played it wrong or misread EP unless he really had EP on vapor but thought EP hit a weak ace on the river (e.g., then he may have called down with AQ and bet value on the river but that would require a serious read or lucky guess).

EP who the flip knows. hopefully a king or weakly played eight. if he's aggressive a weak ace or even a middle pair with a wide stubborn streak are possible.

next time provide streaming video.

matt
Old 02-18-2005, 01:31 PM

your post confirms my suspicions on this hand, and I really want to get your thoughts once I post what they had. FWIW, I think they both played their hands wrong.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:41 PM

Hey turnip,

I agree that we need a little more. If you tell us if they played their hands well or poorly, we could guess the hole cards. If you tell us their hole cards, we could tell you whether they played their hands well. But, it's tough to do both... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

TP had 88. Raiser had AK or AQ. Can't give thought to how well they played this sec; maybe later...

Mike
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM

Default more info/results

raiser was unknown to me, he seemed decent and made a few straightforward plays while I was there.

TP is generally very loose preflop, but generally plays very well after the flop. he's almost always the aggressor, so the line he took was quite peculiar for him.

in this rare case, by the turn I actually had a dead read on both of them. TP wouldn't get involved with less than AK in terms of high cards, but the check call line he took I knew he almost has to have an 8. raiser had AK here, he could have had AA or KK but I think AA bets more and KK checks the turn.

TP had 89s and raiser had AK. so, how did they do?

--turnipmonster
Old 02-18-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: more info/results

I dont hate either player's moves here. Tell me what you dont like and what you'd do differently as I'm interested to hear. With A/K, a stronger preflop move is in order, but after that it's tough. Betting the flop seems standard. Sure, the smooth call smells like an 8, but if you check the turn, dont you open yourself up to get bluffed out? As for TP, he got paid off, so it seems decent. Help me out. I dont see it.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: more info/results

i think EP played it well. he bet every street reasonably through the turn and stopped at the river when it became very hard to put TP on a hand that would call a raise and lose.

TP, on the other hand, spunked the monkey, assuming EP wouldn't make a great fold on him. presumably TP could've gotten more out of the hand.

matt

matt