Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Table selection method?

After having some life setbacks, Ive finally gotten to the point where I had enough money to start a bankroll for limit on Party $1/$2 Full Ring LHE.

Anyhow, it\'s been a number of months since Ive played any Limit HE on party, and I noticed right off the bat that the tables I was joining seemed different somehow than I remembered them.

The players seemed tighter preflop. There was still rather poor post-flop play, which was good to see. But I switched tables maybe 8 times, not finding any of them to be of satisfactory looseness. When I say loose Im thinking AT LEAST 4 players seeing every flop. The tables I joined were mostly 3 to the flop, HU, or on rare occaision 4 or 5 players.

I got to thinking that maybe the tightness could be accounted for because of the new deposit bonus going on. I am not about to concede that Partypoker players have somehow gotten better.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but im interested in hearing your methods for finding juicy tables. Do you go by pot size? Or do you just randomly pull a table up and watch it for awhile while youre waiting in line? Or any other method you might have, id appreciate hearing about it.

Help me find some good tables!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Table selection method?

If you learn to play 6max table selection would be pointless. The tables have been outstanding. I can't comment on the full ring. But I am sure table selection for that does not matter either. Just sort by average pot size and try and find a table with a high average.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:02 PM

I'm not sure when you last played regularly, but the best (loosest) action on Party 1/2 is at the 6max tables now. Of course, that also means higher variance, and it can be an adjustment for a person used to playing full ring, but I think 6max is easily worth it if you're a halfway decent player.

Anyway, as to table selection...I have an extensive buddy list populated by the worst players I've bumped into over the months. When I log on to my account, the first thing I do is run a player search for my buddies, and if any are playing on limits I can currently afford, that's the table I join. This isn't perfect, as sometimes I'll end up at a table with the 1 donk & 8 TAGs, but I can always move on if I'm not holding my own vs. the field.

Another trick I learned is to look for half-full tables that are still averaging decent-sized (4-6 BB) pots. What you'll often find is that you've just got 4 or 5 recreational players (read: donks) playing it up there & thriving on all the action. Some of my most profitable sessions came from situations like this, where I wound up as the only TAG against 4+ horrible players.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:12 PM

That\'s some great advice! It has actually been about 4 months I beleive since I\'ve played Limit on full tables. I might also be remembering the tables were better than they might have actually been.

I will definately start a buddy list though< I completely ignored that feature. I appreciate the advice.

As far as 6 max goes, I actually feel I play better shorthanded, BUT I havent clocked enough hands to tell you that it was more than the effect of variance. I started with $500, which is slightly short for 1/2, (but i have the $100 deposit bonus almost cleared) so I definately dont have enough bankroll to move to 6max from all I hear about the variance. But I will definately consider moving to 1/2 6max at some point, becasue every player should probably get some good experience in shorthanded games if he plans on moving up higher than 5/10 ever.

Again, thanks for the advice so far