Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Question for for Dr. Al re: Poker Players, Personality Types and other

I'm curious if anybody has done research on gamblers and/or poker players and their personality types or other traits. I have been getting treatment for situational depression and am thinking that I may also suffer from ADD.

The reasons I think this is that I'm a very high functioning and creative accountant, but, I'm defensive when receiving feedback and tend to isolate myself during problem solving. I've taken the Myers Briggs (perhaps a blunt test) and found that I'm an INFP, and it has suggested that I'm in the wrong profession.

It seems that the two combined is a recipe for disaster. I find myself playing poker as a means to relax and to prove to myself that I'm competent and analytical.

I'm 41 years old and am feeling frightend in knowing that I can no longer sustain working in this corporate arena and need to find something else to do.

I am going to seek medical attention for the ADD and am continuing psychotherapy. Do you have any other suggestions or insight?

Thanks,

Iggy
Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Question for for Dr. Al re: Poker Players, Personality Types and o

Dr. Schoonmaker is not a clinical psychologist. For additional information on that you can see my interview with him in the current issue of 2+2 Magazine.
LINK
Old 08-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Question for for Dr. Al re: Poker Players, Personality Types and other

[ QUOTE ]
I'm defensive when receiving feedback and tend to isolate myself during problem solving.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with ADD. There are plenty of non ADD people out there who cannot take criticism. This is more likely a behavior you learned growing up and certain people bring it out more than others. It is good that you recognize it, getting help is the next step.

[ QUOTE ]
I've taken the Myers Briggs (perhaps a blunt test) and found that I'm an INFP, and it has suggested that I'm in the wrong profession.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opperative word: suggested

No test is perfect (you'll find that your Myers Briggs score will change over time), so don't worry about what it says you should be doing.

Do what makes you happy.

btw - I am eNFj and the "best" players are supposed to be iNTp, yet I still enjoy poker and seem to do ok at it, so screw the test [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the "best" players are supposed to be iNTp

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm under the impression that it is iNTj.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the "best" players are supposed to be iNTp

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm under the impression that it is iNTj.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I recall, it is iNTp because they are more perceptive to what others have, rather than judging them and putting them on specifics. Like I said, I and a feely person, so maybe I am just emotional about not being ideal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Question for for Dr. Al re: Poker Players, Personality Types and other

As I have often said, I am not a clinical psychologist, and it would be irresponsible for me to comment on clinical problems. I must add that even my clinical colleagues might be reluctant to comment without a lot more data than you have provided.

If you think you may need clinical treatment, this is NOT the place to get advice. See a professional.

Regards,

Al
Old 08-05-2005, 10:11 PM

I would imagine that iNTjs are at their best at limit poker, while iNTps are more talented at big-bet games.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the response. I am seeking clinical help, but what I'm really trying to satisfy is if there have been studies linking any of these attributes to gambling addiction and/or proficiency. I did find this article as well as a few others that are intriguing . I'm interested in getting some thoughts on the subject.