Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Do you ever feel bad about taking someone\'s money?

Before everyone jumps all over me, I'll explain the scenario:
-$200 NL (B&M), I was up to $1500
-person in question had burned thru over $1000, had never played before (he had won $$ at 3 card poker, hit jackpot for $2000)
-guy was drinking quite a bit, on vacation w/ wife
-I had probably taken $200-300 off this guy throughout nite
-guy had mentioned he wanted to play a hand against me (due to my stack size)

I had TPTK in the hand in question and bet it on flop & turn. It was headsup after flop. I knew I had best hand and checked on river and told him if I were him, I'd check too. I took down the pot after both of us checked (about $120-150 pot).

I know this can be construed as softplaying. I didn't do this at any other time in the session w/ any players (this guy included). I know I cost myself $$, I could've bet $50 to $100 and been paid. Someone else at the table probably walked away with the money anyway.

Was I way out of line to check on the river? Can you never say "enough is enough" with a player?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Do you ever feel bad about taking someone\'s money?

You want to know if we approve of you not winning extra "free money" when given the chance?

uh...

sure.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:56 PM

It's always best to let your concience be your guide so I'm not going to crack you for soft-playing him. That being said... I always check my concience at the door of the poker room because if given the chance he would have taken all your chips.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:01 PM

Nothing about your explanation of the guy would make me feel bad for taking his money. He can afford a nice vacation with his wife and go gambling, etc, etc. Obviously if he took a vacation to go gambling (not mentioned in your post if this is Vegas or not), then he is prepared to lose a bit of money. All the money he is playing with he won off some jackpot.

I can think of situations where I might feel some guilt taking someone's money, this isn't one of them.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:24 PM

This has been discussed before.

I tend to believe that you don't win any money that the other person didn't give to you, and that the converse is true when you lose. No one forced him to be there, and he knew the risks. Sleep well tonight, then.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 PM

I wasn't having trouble sleeping, it's just that hand stood out and I said (for that hand) enough was enough. It was in Vegas.

I guess in the back of my mind I'm saying to myself "this is too good to be true", almost too easy. I've been playing for a couple years now, have read a number of books, read this forum and other blogs. I enjoy the game and want to get better. The best way to measure "getting better"...are you winning money. Answer is yes for me over past 18 months. I've just never had a situation like this where it's so easy.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:44 PM

If you are unwilling to check raise your grandmother for the last 10 cents of her social security check, you probably do not have the proper mindset for poker.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:53 PM

The only thing you don't want to do is embarass somebody who is a regular donator and cause him to stop playing.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are unwilling to check raise your grandmother for the last 10 cents of her social security check, you probably do not have the proper mindset for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right, and if you think your grandmother wouldn't do the same to you holding the nut flush, think again.

Seriously, you aren't responsible for other people. I may have done the same thing as you on that hand, especially after the guy had donated so generously to my poker fund that night. But I would have slept soundly either way.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Sympathy for people doesn't really work at the poker table. Empathy, yes. Sympathy, no. Don't bother feeling sorry for people.