[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...that even pinning the Puma in "Nintendo Wrestling" was more realistic

[/ QUOTE ]

what a sweet reference.

[/ QUOTE ]
I never even got to the Puma. I lose.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: The sports guys latest cowbell

Everyone who dogged him for the Tuesday article should read today's explanation. I guess his rationale doesn't matter if you hated it, but perhaps you won't take his act so seriously next time.

Same link as OP
Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone who dogged him for the Tuesday article should read today's explanation. I guess his rationale doesn't matter if you hated it, but perhaps you won't take his act so seriously next time.

Same link as OP

[/ QUOTE ]

That is incredibly weak.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What does piss me off is the way he has begun to insinuate that Peyton is aloof and doesn't care about his teammates. I've never heard anything like this from anyone else, in fact I've consistently heard the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been saying the same thing about Peyton for years. Unlike you, I haven't heard anything "the opposite".

When the going gets tough, this guy barks at his teammates, waving his arms, letting everyone in the stadium know that it wasn't HIS fault that last play didn't work. Drop a pass, or run the wrong route, and Peyton will sell you out to the crowd in a second. He'll simulate a pass pattern with his left hand, then a different route with his right. This is his way of letting 60,000 people in on a conversation that says, "You ran an out, you were supposed to run a post." Then he pats the WR on the helmet, clearly telling the young man, "Get your head in the game!"

Tom Brady would never do that to one of his receivers. Not in a million years. He'd pat the guy on the butt, and assure him that they'll get the job done next time.

That's the reason why TSG, and I, think Manning is a loser.

Look at this week's game: Middle of first quarter, close game. Shotgun formation. Peyton raises his foot, the signal for the center to snap the ball. The center keeps looking for the signal, but occasionally lifts his head to see the defense's formation. Center didn't see the signal. Four seconds on the play clock. Another raise, and again, the center didn't see it. One second. Another raise. Finally, the center snaps the ball, but it's too late, and the Colts get a penalty.

Peyton shows his true colors, stomping his feet, and smacking his hands together in frustration. Letting the millions of viewers know that it wasn't HIS FAULT the penalty got called.

Now he's rattled, and he throws a pick on the next play. It was the most predictable meltdown in NFL history.

Fortunately for Peyton, it did not remain a close game. The going was not tough.

Find a tape of those earlier losses at Foxboro. It's a highlight reel of Peyton showing up teammate after teammate.

THAT'S why TSG and I hate Peyton.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does piss me off is the way he has begun to insinuate that Peyton is aloof and doesn't care about his teammates. I've never heard anything like this from anyone else, in fact I've consistently heard the opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been saying the same thing about Peyton for years. Unlike you, I haven't heard anything "the opposite".

When the going gets tough, this guy barks at his teammates, waving his arms, letting everyone in the stadium know that it wasn't HIS fault that last play didn't work. Drop a pass, or run the wrong route, and Peyton will sell you out to the crowd in a second. He'll simulate a pass pattern with his left hand, then a different route with his right. This is his way of letting 60,000 people in on a conversation that says, "You ran an out, you were supposed to run a post." Then he pats the WR on the helmet, clearly telling the young man, "Get your head in the game!"

Tom Brady would never do that to one of his receivers. Not in a million years. He'd pat the guy on the butt, and assure him that they'll get the job done next time.

Look at this week's game: Middle of first quarter, close game. Shotgun formation. Peyton raises his foot, the signal for the center to snap the ball. The center keeps looking for the signal, but occasionally lifts his head to see the defense's formation. Center didn't see the signal. Four seconds on the play clock. Another raise, and again, the center didn't see it. One second. Another raise. Finally, the center snaps the ball, but it's too late, and the Colts get a penalty.

Peyton shows his true colors, stomping his feet, and smacking his hands together in frustration. Letting the millions of viewers know that it wasn't HIS FAULT the penalty got called.

Now he's rattled, and he throws a pick on the next play. It was the most predictable meltdown in NFL history.

Fortunately for Peyton, it did not remain a close game. The going was not tough.

Find a tape of those earlier losses at Foxboro. It's a highlight reel of Peyton showing up teammate after teammate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not agree more, there is nothing more classless then showing up your own "teammate" to the crowd or on National TV.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you miss Brady bitching at his teammates on the sidelines and sulking like a puss in the closing minutes of the game? It's easy to be "classy" when you have three of the best coaches in the game coaching you, and the best offensive line in the country in front of you. But a little adversity and he gets just as pissed off as anyone. So enough of this "Brady is God and everyone should be just like him" crap. Whenever anyone talks about how legendary Tom Brady is, all I need to say anymore is "Brady Quinn." That's it. Argument over.

It's funny that a guy like Parcells can scream at players and call them women and even hit coaches and fans will scramble to lick his grundle, but when a QB shows a little frustration on the field, he's "showing up his teammates." Please. Manning is as much of a leader as any coach in the game.

This is typical jealous sports fan crap, by the way. When you can't criticize your rival's play, take shots at their style. Well, keep crying Nancy, because the "loser" Manning just crushed your pretty boy QB and your Emporer Has No Clothes coach.

p.s. I hope the Jets beat you twice this year.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Same link as OP

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with today's column is that he rags on other national sports columnists for doing the same thing -- i.e. taking a stand they don't really believe in and taking it to the extreme.
I always thought he didn't have an act. oh well.

But like dids said, his pop culture and basketball stuff are gold. And I hate NBA hoops.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But like dids said, his pop culture and basketball stuff are gold. And I hate NBA hoops.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should say that for all the crap I give the guy I agree with this as well. I don't know enough about the NBA to know whether he does, but I find his writing on it entertaining.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:51 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with today's column is that he rags on other national sports columnists for doing the same thing -- i.e. taking a stand they don't really believe in and taking it to the extreme.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

I just wanted to point out that they guy is for all intents and purposes a comedy writer and everyone here seemed to be taking his earlier column way too seriously. It was cleary somewhat tongue-in-cheek.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

I just wanted to point out that they guy is for all intents and purposes a comedy writer and everyone here seemed to be taking his earlier column way too seriously. It was cleary somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah. It's just not funny IMO. and then he tries to actually analyze the game and get into the heads of the players and it's just embarassing to read.