Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Want to keep sore losers from scaring away the fish?

I think we all agree that the best way to keep fish at the table is to promote a good atmosphere and compliment players on winning hands even if they are poorly played.

So what can we do about all these players that feel they have to insult or badmouth others everytime someone outdraws them. It seems they forget the fact that if everyone had read every 2 plus 2 book it would defeat the purpose of playing in the first place. Sure, a few fish probably enjoy pissing players off and aren't bothered by the backlash and the vulgarity, but there's got to be a lot of players that are new to the game and don't feel welcome playing poorly when everyone is chewing them out.

I'm considering saving a list of players names that are generally abusive towards poor players and submitting it weekly or monthly to the hosting site with a small description of the problem and why it is bad for business other than just being offensive. I don't want the offending players off the site as most of them are likely not as great as they think if they can't take losing a hand or two, however maybe we can get their chat privileges suspended and promote a more welcoming atmosphere. What do you all think? Worthwhile or do the sites not care?
Old 01-19-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Want to keep sore losers from scaring away the fish?

I dont know if the sites would care or not. Usually i just defend the fish. Say something like, "hey, we're here to gamble" or "well, he got your chips so it looks like it WAS the right play, doesn't it?" The whiner then gets mad at you and the fish likes you.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:31 PM

Yeah, if I do anything I pretend to defend the fish. That usually makes them feel like they know what they are doing when they chase a two outer to the river.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:39 PM

I have this page bookmarked for easy access:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...c=#Post1263292

Adde
Old 01-19-2005, 07:48 PM

The real problem is with the sites that decide not to enforce a strict policy on chat. Until they decide they want to clean it up, it won't happen. And you are welcome to try to convince them that they need to, but I doubt you will have any success. Good luck with that though.

The strictest is Pokerstars (very well run and very strict), then the others like Party, UB, Pacific, crypto, don't seem to care.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually i just defend the fish. Say something like, "hey, we're here to gamble" or "well, he got your chips so it looks like it WAS the right play, doesn't it?" The whiner then gets mad at you and the fish likes you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone noticed lately how intense the whiners are ??. It seems as though I'm defending the fish on a daily basis and when the attention gets diverted to you, the onslaught has been unbelievable of late. I had this guy berating me for almost 1 hour last night before he finally gave up and left. He was calling anyone who sucked out on him an idiot. I finally had enough and verbally let him have it. The very next hand I'm in the BB and he is on the button. 4 limpers to him, he raises, SB calls and it's to me with QJ off. With 5 in + me I call (getting 11 to 1). Qxx on the flop, check to him, Q on the turn, rags on the river and I take it down and bust his K's, he goes Apeshit on me for being a calling station and calling a raise pre-flop with a "horrible" hand like QJ off.

The defenders also seem to be a little over the top lately. The night before last I slipped up (happens very occassionally) and called a guy a "goof" for slow playing (missed about 6 extra bets) his flopped set which turned into a boat. Obviously realized as soon as I said it that I shouldn't have, but that was the extent of the comment. Within like 2 seconds Mr. Defender steps in and starts going nuts on me. Telling me I'm the idiot and should shut up. I laugh and politely tell him that I got the point. Mr. Defender doesn't stop but rather continues berating me for the next 15 minutes or so. Even when I gave him clues as to being in the "know" (comments like: I didn't think I tapped but rather just rubbed the glass !!) it didn't make a difference. The funny thing was when people started to leave the table, of course he says that it was my fault for my one word comment, and had nothing to do with the 15 minute lecture that he was in the middle of.

Interesting couple of nights !!

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] busguy
Old 01-20-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The strictest is Pokerstars (very well run and very strict), then the others like Party, UB, Pacific, crypto, don't seem to care.

[/ QUOTE ]
Paradise seems to do a good job. Much more pleasant table chat than Party.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have this page bookmarked for easy access:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...c=#Post1263292

Adde

[/ QUOTE ]

Best line ever...

Hey pansy, STFU! People are here to have a good time, not to take lessons to come back and beat you with.

Thanks Granny.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 AM

ugh. one of those guys was at my table tonight. there was a nice little fish who was busy giving away his money when this know-it-all (who actually was a pretty terrible player himself... aren't they all?) decides to begin berating the fish. so i do my usual of stepping between the two to try to take some flak. no dice. the guy just kept going, i even tried inviting the guy to a table in order to use the text to tell him to shut up because we don't want the fish to get better or leave, and he STILL kept going. the fish, fortunately, seemed to thrive on the attention and kept going. i hate those damn know-it-alls.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Paradise seems to do a good job. Much more pleasant table chat than Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit that I haven't played there recently. but when I first signed-up there (in May or June perhaps??) I was immediately treated to some of the most vulgar and offensive table-chat I had ever seen.

I had been playing pretty exclusively on party....and when i cleared the initial-depo bonus at paradise I was just stunned at all the 'Stupid C--T M----er F----er!!' blah blah blah going on. It was really unbelieveable. And was happening on 2 or 3 different tables.

Isolated instance I guess...sample-size to small to draw adequate conclusion.

I took a female name over there (because I never had on any other site) and was called 'one aggressive bitch' on a short-handed game that I was running-over... but THAT was obviously meant as a compliment.