Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Need AK feedback

but you'd still play it the same way? correct?
Old 11-26-2004, 03:29 AM

yeah he worked hero over in this one
Old 11-26-2004, 03:34 AM

hahaha. That's mean
Old 11-26-2004, 03:39 AM

not trying to, i'd bite on that one just as hard
Old 11-26-2004, 03:42 AM

I would play it the same way as Hero unless I had my opponent down as a rock. If you don't call down these sorts of hands, you are asking for trouble in future against observant opposition. I would still be expecting to lose though. Maybe I should follow my instincts more, which in this case would have turned out to be correct.
Old 11-26-2004, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, if a read on the player tells you that he's passive, don't hesitate to call down at the first sign of being raised.

Alex

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand why people advocate calling down against a passive opponent when he starts playing back at you. He's passive meaning the hands he starts raising with are generally better than one pair. Easy fold on the turn. After you 3 bet him on the flop and he's still raising you on the turn, he's got a hand that beats top pair. You could try 3 betting him to save some face and if he caps I think you can safely let it go.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:53 PM

It's scary. Obviously, stupid play at this level increases the informaton deficit we have to deal with. Right now, MP2 has a pretty good idea of your hand, and can make a pretty decent play at you. YOU, on the other hand, are struggling to figure out what this guy is playing.

I'm having a tough time reconciling this situation with the Fundamental Theorem of Poker (to paraphase: try to make the same play you would if the cards were face up). In this case, MP2 has a better idea of what your cards are than you do, so his play is likely to be more correct according to FToP.

As 2+2'ers, we play pretty straightforward, and I think we define our hands too well sometimes. I think a lot of better players play outside the bounds of the average player's understanding, and that's where they make money. Straightforward hands like this may be too easy for a bad player to understand and play against. I'm not advocating fancy play by any means, but it seems we need to keep 'em guessing a little more, or be more careful in obvious situations.
Old 11-26-2004, 01:53 PM

I only call down because with a hand like AK in this situation, the pot is likely to be pretty big because of my pre-flop raise - and I have seen passive players play many hands worse than TPTK aggressively...if sometimes a little ill-advised.

Alex
Old 11-26-2004, 02:23 PM

And most "rocks" would play 3,4 in MP [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2004, 02:35 PM

Well the thing is that they aren't passive then if they're playing hands worse than TPTK aggressively. If you have a read you either trust it or you don't. If you trust your read why would you call down a passive player who's playing back at you? If you don't trust your read then by all means go ahead and call down.