Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:45 AM

Default A different rebuy/add-on question

So I decided to try one of the $36 Stars Sats to the $215, and like a dope didn't realize that it was a re-buy. I was so startled to see that I had the option, that I just did it.

Then I did the math. I plowed over $70 into the tourney, and while it increases my chance of making the money, I can still only win the seat. If I were to take the add-on, suddenly I'm looking at basically buying half a seat, and I STILL am not guaranteed a spot.

So two questions:
1. Am I wrong in thinking that this is a odd tournament? I'm just thrown off by how quickly buy in and rebuys would approach your max payout.
2. Is it a bad idea to take the immediate rebuy? What about the add on?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: A different rebuy/add-on question

1 it does seem odd; but you can adjust.

2 this might be the rebuy where you neither add on nor rebuy because there's no advantage to over-building your stack. you want to overbuild your stack in a regular rebuy so that you have enough chips to not be pushed around by big stacks and so that you can survive the second / third hour. Here, maybe the solution is to play tight. I think I would not rebuy, play tight the first hour, and add on.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:36 AM

It is a weird structure but I would still immediately rebuy. I think the comments about overbuilding your stack in regular rebuys are not entirely true. In normal rebuys you want to obviously build your stack like anything else, but taking slightly advantageous moves like coin flips become slightly more worth it as your tournament life will not be on the line. Having big stacks 'bully' you in general rebuys is not a big problem as that is when many of the regular players build there stacks after the rebuy period, it is all about having the highest blind:stack ratio.

In this tourney specifically I would likely rebuy automatically and play it like a freezeout.
~Justin
Old 11-17-2005, 01:43 AM

Ooh good question, i've wondered about this tournament before, and i think that in this one, it might be best to treat it as a freezeout.

I dunno, i've just tried to avoid it. But half the field usually gets seats, or so i read, so i'd imagine i could do that on one buyin often enough.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 AM

Yeah, it's a weird one all right.

The final tally:
27 entries
16 rebuys
8 Addons

1-8 get seats.
With the re-buy and hitting a set early, I actually came pretty close to hitting the point at which it makes no sense to rebuy even in a freezeout.

They play itself is pretty weak tight, even during the rebuy (which was pretty bizarre), though there were some calling stations and the occasional truly atrocious play. In any even, I played horrible poker but thanks to the big stack, will coast to a seat.