Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Moral Dilemma

I think one big factor is going unsaid- any serious contributor to the forum increases the value to everyone else, mitigating the loss from having 1 more tough player in your game.

Even without this factor, I'd still tell someone in this situation. My life is about more than just EV. Sorry if that inconveniences those of you for whom EV is everything.

Some quantitative analysis-
One player going from 0B/100 to 1.5 BB/100 at 4 tables when there are 60 tables going costs the game an average of .1BB/100 while they're there. But let's say out of the average player you would talk to, 30% actually go to the forums, only the top end gets to the 1.5/4 rate and the results scale upwards evenly from 0 to 1.5 throughout that 30%. Now you're costing the game .015BB/100, and only during the hours they're playing (obviously costs more during off-peak hours). I'm not presenting this to prove a point, just providing data.

2nd
Old 07-16-2005, 09:50 PM

I pick option C. Teach him how bad he is by challenging him to a HU match and taking every last cent.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:11 AM

For once its not me getting steamed over questions of morality or is this a discussion of ethics?

The term "morality" refers to a code of conduct put forward by a society or some other group, such as a religion, usually based on some founding principles.

"Ethics" are harder to define, but IMO refer to much more personal philosophy, based on observation of human behaviour and its consequences.

Wrong forum...

<font color=" red">I am with Schneids on this one.</font>

A few people directed here out of the 1,000's who start playing each week is nothing to get worried about. For each 100 who come to this forum 80 will gain very little from it and perhaps 1-2 will becomes reasonable players.

Players who are intelligent and want to improve will find their own way regardless of what we say. There are those who overestimate the power of this forum, it is not the poker-equivalent of the philosopher's stone. You cannot polish a turd etc.

That said...

When I first started playing poker online (5-stud on Ladbrokes) having only previously played at school/college, two players were chatting in a game and one mentioned "PokerTracker". When I stopped playing I googled it and bought it soon after. Did it help? Certainly. Would I have found it anyway? Certainly. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 07-17-2005, 10:45 AM

Well, I've referred my rl friends here, but as far as online play, I have to hold back the urge to let people know you can check hand histories by clicking the little thing in the upper right hand corner sometimes.

So yea, B here :/

But I see the validity in A, helping fellow humans always feels good, even if you're competing with them in a game.

I.e. in non $ games (not poker, games like ping-pong, warcraft etc) I'll point out my friends weaknesses I'm exploiting and they'll point out mine, helps us both get better.

So yea, I see both ways~
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 AM

A. Easy.

Nigel
Old 07-17-2005, 12:27 PM

I gotta voice my opinion, B.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:18 PM

I vote A.
Old 07-17-2005, 03:22 PM

Personally, I think if you want to help a guy like that improve his game it's far more helpful/dangerous to suggest he read SSHE than to send him here.

/mc
Old 07-17-2005, 05:33 PM

I overexpress my opinions sometimes as well.

But seriously, after your post I doubt anyone would have answered the other way if Schneids, someone with a lot of forum respect who des what he wants to, had not come along and voiced a very well thought out opinion.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I overexpress my opinions sometimes as well.

But seriously, after your post I doubt anyone would have answered the other way if Schneids, someone with a lot of forum respect who des what he wants to, had not come along and voiced a very well thought out opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope that statement isnt true. Like I said, I honestly don't belive my loud mouth would keep anyone here from saying whatever it is they wanted to say, and that it would take someone like schneids to make it otherwise. He has about a million times more respect around here than I'll ever have, but if he had said anyone who says B is a moron, I wouldnt have hesitated to express my opposite opinion, and I don't think others would have as well.

And if I'm wrong, well I think thats pretty sad then.