Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Pro Poker Income

Why cant some of you pro players answer a question regarding potential income in dollars and cents? Why cant you say i average $3000.00/wk online and $4000.00/wk B&M intead of 4BB/hr and 6BB/100 hands? Those stats are not all that impressive except to other experienced players until you find out that he is playing .01/.02 Limit Hold Em. Ask Arnold Palmer how much a golfer makes playing golf and he wont tell you $800/birdie and 1200/par. My point is when you are talking to non players and want to get them interested in the game you want them to think "i know how to play poker and if these guys can make that much then i should be able to make 20% of that because i am not too good. How do i get started?"
Old 03-26-2005, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Pro Poker Income

Do you want an answer to know the numbers or an answer to your philosophical-irrelevant 'why?' question?.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:45 AM

both
Old 03-26-2005, 10:09 AM

There are people in these boards making $600 K per year or more. Not many, but a few more than you would expect in a normal distribution, many more than in any other internet poker forum. There are many others making $50 K and more per year. There are part timers making $100 K plus per year. There are recreational players losing money too.

The above figures are for ring game players. Last year's wsop winner took $5M in less than a week in a tourney. There are several successful tourney players making $100 K plus per year.

I believe there are some NL players making even more than that in the highest games and there are also very good HU players in both limit and NL making $400K per year and more.

As to the WHY?.

Most people are not interested in discussing their winnings with others in an open forum, but some others do, both openly and privately. You can search some week ago posts re. 2005 update or something, and several good players discuss their winnings there.

Here is a thread I started, in the internet forum, when I was digging for some answers as to how much/how fast question, some good players provided good info there too:

THE DISTANCE
Old 03-26-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask Arnold Palmer how much a golfer makes playing golf and he wont tell you $800/birdie and 1200/par.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Why does he make less for a birdie than for a par?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:57 AM

more pars than birdies
Old 03-26-2005, 11:10 AM

i am not asking for specific players to give specific amounts. For instance if Joe Poker makes 75,000/yr he can accurately say 40,000 to 95,000/yr or more when asked how much a good player can make.He is not specficaly saying how much he makes but gives an idea on what to expect. If nothing else it is a starting point.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:36 AM

some people are making 4k a month. some people are making 30k a month. some people are losing 10k a month.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:32 PM

People don't say because it's bad manners. Only my boss and the taxman knew how much I made as a trader and the same goes for poker.

If Arnold Palmer made all his money betting holes with his foursome I doubt he'd be that keen to share how much he made either. Or he'd at least lose more customers then he'd gain.

-flub
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM

Taking about monthly/yearly income is meaningless without knowing how many hours one played and the limits at which one played.