Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:29 PM

Default WSOP final table quality of play

That was almost unwatchable. Kanters K4 reraise and all-in made Tiffany Williamson look like a genius by comparison. Only Tex Barch played solid poker. If this trend continues the main event will fade into oblivion.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: WSOP final table quality of play

[ QUOTE ]
That was almost unwatchable. Kanters K4 reraise and all-in made Tiffany Williamson look like a genius by comparison. Only Tex Barch played solid poker. If this trend continues the main event will fade into oblivion.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's a nice conclusion. Do you honestly think poker has become this big because everyone thought Moneymaker played fantastic poker?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM

Big is not necessarily better. Harrahs Corporation will do quite well but as far as a viewing audience it is not a great product. The WPT is much better.

in 2003 and 2004 we had pros and good amatuers playing with the cinderellas. 2005 was a joke.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big is not necessarily better. Harrahs Corporation will do quite well but as far as a viewing audience it is not a great product. The WPT is much better.

in 2003 and 2004 we had pros and good amatuers playing with the cinderellas. 2005 was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

odd, i too feel that the wpt is somehow "better than" the wsop. like, not counting money considerations, i'd much rather be on a wpt final table than a wsop final table for some reason... even though i'd rather have a wsop bracelet than a wpt championship. weird.. maybe i just like the show better.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

odd, i too feel that the wpt is somehow "better than" the wsop. like, not counting money considerations, i'd much rather be on a wpt final table than a wsop final table for some reason... even though i'd rather have a wsop bracelet than a wpt championship. weird.. maybe i just like the show better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the exact opposite. I would much rather be at a final table where the calibre of talent on average is lower, and the money we are playing for is higher.
There are only so many players above a certain level. Those same players play both WPT and WSOP, however the WSOP is filled with several thousand extras. Of course there will be more unknowns at the final table, but thats why the draw is so big, it encourages the average player to play, not discourage.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:28 PM

3 words: Vince Van Pelt

What a cool dude. Told me he'd lay me 200-1 in one game of tennis.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:32 PM

Strassa, please report to the HULA thread in general post haste!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 words: Vince Van Pelt

What a cool dude. Told me he'd lay me 200-1 in one game of tennis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....

+

Tell you what, I'd take even $$$ from EITHER or these guys. One guys' dead, and the other can't hold a racket between the thumb sucking and the blanket.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 PM

This should probably have been posted in the official final table thread. If we had a better mechanism to merge threads, I would, but since I can't, I'll let it be, but let's try and keep the final table discussion in one place, as per established policy.

Also, I think the OP is pretty out to lunch.

A- there's like literally 8 hours we didn't see, and making any judgements without more context is really hard.

B- Dannenman, Hachem, Black and Barch all seemed decent.

C- I can't see how this final table lineup is anything but a good think for the image of poker.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:45 PM

Was unaware there was an "official" thread. Yes, we are all aware that there is alot going on we dont see. IMO it didnt make for good TV this year and that is bad for ESPN and viewers like me. Thats all.