Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Tookie, tookie, tookie... what about the victims?

[ QUOTE ]
I think you've mis-directed your post/reply. I wasn't arguing in favor of the death penalty. I only acknowledged that it's the law of "parts of" the land.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just responded to the last post, not necessarily directed to you.

Also, I am not arguing against the death penalty in general. My questions are about employing the death penalty in this specific case. My feeling is that this case called for clemency, and I have yet to see a cogent argument against it, and that includes the arguments made by the prosecutors, at least according to the papers.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Avatars may help. Also taking your medicine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just giving you a hard time, thats pretty much what I figured had happened. And youll be happy to know that I was able to escape doing forward air control tonight in subzero weather on the Nevada ranges. You dont want me to be cold do you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Avatars were beginning to drive me bonkers. whiskeytown's got embedded in my subconscious - agggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I have night terrors about it!

Yes, to the happy about no night in the "sunny Nevada desert." My first trip to LV was in a February. Froze my young butt off! So no, I'd rather think of you nicely tucked in with some young "acquaintance" - wait. That's me I'd like to think of! I want your young butt protecting my old butt. I done did my part. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whoa, I'm digressing and... whatever. Keep the wheels where they're supposed to be.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Avatars may help. Also taking your medicine. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Just giving you a hard time, thats pretty much what I figured had happened. And youll be happy to know that I was able to escape doing forward air control tonight in subzero weather on the Nevada ranges. You dont want me to be cold do you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Avatars were beginning to drive me bonkers. whiskeytown's got embedded in my subconscious - agggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I have night terrors about it!

Yes, to the happy about no night in the "sunny Nevada desert." My first trip to LV was in a February. Froze my young butt off! So no, I'd rather think of you nicely tucked in with some young "acquaintance" - wait. That's me I'd like to think of! I want your young butt protecting my old butt. I done did my part. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whoa, I'm digressing and... whatever. Keep the wheels where they're supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can see how whiskeytown's avatar could cause night terrors , I think I may have had a nightmare or two about it myself.

In regards to LV, I am not lucky enough to be in that area. Im actually on the Fallon ranges, so a little higher altitude. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anyhow, enough thread hijacking, feel free to PM. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] <---- (those are aviator shades) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 AM

People determine ratings, and people universally agree that killing an innocent little girl is worse than killing a gang-banger.

Killing Notorious B.I.G. is the equivalent of killing Einstein or the President of the United States???

If Einstein and a gang-banger were in a sinking boat, and you could only throw rope to one of them to save his life, if you would not throw it to Einstein, you should be drowned for crimes against humanity.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People determine ratings, and people universally agree that killing an innocent little girl is worse than killing a gang-banger.

Killing Notorious B.I.G. is the equivalent of killing Einstein or the President of the United States???

If Einstein and a gang-banger were in a sinking boat, and you could only throw rope to one of them to save his life, if you would not throw it to Einstein, you should be drowned for crimes against humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you are purposly avoiding theissue or you really just dont get it. The law holds everyone to the same standard. Oswald would of gotten no harsher a sentance than if he had killed only an onlooker. More importantly he deserves no harsher a sentance.

Everyone is equal before the law, like it or not. And thank god for it.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, what does killing him accomplish? He is a murderer, but from prison he has been writing childrens books and urging kids not to join gangs or get involved in gang violence. Dead, he can do nothing, alive, whether he means it or not, he can help people. He cant hurt anyone else...

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely incorrect. It is actually believed he was running the Crips and ordering killings, even from death row. How? Coded messages in his mail. These a-holes have devised elaborate codes into even the most innocuous looking letters to give orders and exchange information.

I am actually not a proponent of the death penalty because I don't like giving the state the power to kill its citizens (I would object less to giving the victims' family member a gun and letting them carry out justice themselves). However, it is awfully hard to shed a tear for this jerk-off.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The death penelty is a drain on society

Justice is letting murderers rot in prision rof the rest of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, isn't 40 more years of prison care a drain on society?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The victims are dead, so how isthis execution going to help them at all? The death penelty is a drain on society and only helps those seeking revenge.

Revenge is not justice. Justice is letting murderers rot in prision rof the rest of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

If its worse to rot in prison than die, why does he want his life spared?

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding from interviews and such that I've read is that he's come to terms with the fact that he is being put to death and that it is the people who support him and the work he's done that want him spared.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:24 AM

"Everyone is equal before the law, like it or not."

You twist this to mean that a class of crimes is equivalent in nature, when it really means that everyone has a right to a fair trial.

The consequences of killing the President of the United States versus killing an ordinary joe are so much greater, that if it were possible to impose mulitiple death sentences on the guy killing the President, one should. That is also why one hears of sentences that go on into hundreds of years. Each victim or the brutality of the crime is taken into account.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 AM

So, for those of you who are misinformed in reference to murders Tookie is indirectly responsible for; what about Hitler? He didin't kill Jews personally, yet he is responsible fore the death of millions. The principle remains. Tookie is guilty. If, and only if, he took a life should he be executed. Being an accomplice should bring him life imprisonment; no parole. Some say, "Tookie wrote books for teen violence prevention;" that's well and good, however, he committed a CRIME! He should pay!