Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:01 AM

Default 1/2 Live hand against pretty tight/passive player

This past weekend at the Borg, I am on the button in a $1/$2 NL game and look down at 8h9h. 2 limpers in front of me, including villain, and the SB completes and BB checks. 5 to the flop of 886.

1st limper checks, villain bets $10, I raise to $20 and everyone folds except villain who calls.

Turn is a 2 of the 4th suit, so no flush possibility. Villain checks to me and I bet $20 into a ~$50 pot. Villain quickly calls.

He's been pretty tight, and not out of line that I've seen. There's only 2 hands I can put him on after the flop and turn bet. An overpair or an 8 probably with a better kicker than me because I can't see him calling with 83, 84, 85, but maybe 87. A8, K8, Q8 are probably more likely, as is AA-99.

Unfortunately, this type of thinking didn't take place until after the hand was over.

River was a blank, checked to me and I bet $20 again and he raised me all in for his last $35, so it was only $15 more to me so I had to call (I think)

I think I played this as well as I could, but just lost out to a better kicker. I figured if he was checking, he had a weak hand he was unsure of, which I suppose is the case with Q8, but most likely you have the best hand. His all-in told me he definately had an 8, but for $15 I had to find out.

Is there any street that I played this poorly on? Should I have just checked the river?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Live hand against pretty tight/passive player

I would have checked behind on the river...you raised him on an 886 flop and got called...basically announcing you have an 8. What calls you that you are beating other than 87 and a weird straight draw, but you said this guy is tight so you know he doesn't have 79.

He calls the turn bet as well. On the river, I can't see many worse hands calling you after that line, but I see a whole host of hands that beat you. Against a tighty I think this is a check behind.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Live hand against pretty tight/passive player

I bet more on the turn (for value against the overpairs) and check behind on the river (after his turn call you have to be wary of A8 or K8, etc...